Subject: Re: bug#33398: 26.1, netbsd-8; Hi Lock Faces, Hi Green B, default setting suggestion

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2018 10:35:02 +0200

> From: Juri Linkov <[email-masked]>
> Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2018 00:16:46 +0200
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> The existing hi-blue face's color "light blue" is closer to the existing
> lazy-highlight face's color "paleturquoise" than to the new hi-cyan
> face's color "DarkSlateGray1" proposed in the patch below, so this
> color choice will be better then existing:
> 
> diff --git a/lisp/hi-lock.el b/lisp/hi-lock.el
> index 08b58117dd..95d7f867df 100644
> --- a/lisp/hi-lock.el
> +++ b/lisp/hi-lock.el
> @@ -157,8 +157,11 @@ hi-yellow
>    :group 'hi-lock-faces)
>  
>  (defface hi-pink
> -  '((((background dark)) (:background "pink" :foreground "black"))
> -    (t (:background "pink")))
> +  '((((min-colors 88) (background dark))
> +     (:background "pink" :foreground "black"))
> +    (((background dark)) (:background "red" :foreground "black"))
> +    (((min-colors 88)) (:background "pink"))
> +    (t (:background "red")))
>    "Face for hi-lock mode."
>    :group 'hi-lock-faces)

Thanks for working on this, but unfortunately changing the default
colors for Emacs faces is not that easy (which is why we do that only
very rarely).  You cannot test your colors in just two points: 8-color
TTY and 256-color display (you probably used a GUI frame?).  For
starters, there's the 16-color TTY, where according to my testing your
changes are for the worse.  And I would also suggest to test with a
88-color TTY.  You need to test for both dark and light backgrounds.

In general, if the automatic color translation in tty-colors.el does a
good job (you can test that by specifying the X color and watching the
result), it is best not to have a special definition for the
corresponding min-colors.  So, for example, for the new hi-magenta and
hi-cyan faces you introduce, please see whether you really need the
definitions for less than 88 colors -- they will only be needed if the
automatic translation produces unpleasant results.