Subject: bug#3336: fill-individual-paragraphs recently created bug

From: Rory Mulvaney <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 07:40:55 -0400 (EDT)

Hello,

I use a system of indented note-taking where each separate note is a 
paragraph with a hanging indent of 1 space, and the whole paragraph is 
indented by some even number of spaces.  I frequently use indent-rigidly 
and fill-individual-paragraphs, in order to make the indentation right. 
When I recently upgraded to emacs22 this year, a bug was introduced in 
fill-individual-paragraphs, described here in a simple example:

In text fill mode with fill-column set at 78 (I think), repeat 12 blocks 
of 1234567890 like so, properly filled with a hanging indent of 1 space:

1234567890 1234567890 1234567890 1234567890 1234567890 1234567890
  1234567890 1234567890 1234567890 1234567890 1234567890 1234567890

Then select the region given by that paragraph and call indent-rigidly 
with an argument of 4, to indent the whole thing, and then follow that up 
with an invocation of fill-individual-paragraphs, with that paragraph 
selected.  In my upgraded emacs, that improperly fills the paragraph.  If 
the simpler command fill-paragraph is used on the paragraph, it works 
correctly.  Obviously I don't want to call fill-paragraph a bunch of times 
when I want to fill many paragraphs at once, so this is a very annoying 
bug.  Fill-individual-paragraphs used to work correclty on the previous 
version of emacs (emacs21, I think) for Debian stable.

Thanks for any help with this,
Rory Mulvaney

some settings from report-emacs-bug:

In GNU Emacs 22.2.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)
  of 2008-11-09 on raven, modified by Debian
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.10402000
configured using `configure  '--build=i486-linux-gnu' 
'--host=i486-linux-gnu' '--prefix=/usr' '--sharedstatedir=/var/lib' 
'--libexecdir=/usr/lib' '--localstatedir=/var/lib' 
'--infodir=/usr/share/info' '--mandir=/usr/share/man' '--with-pop=yes' 
'--enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs22:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/22.2/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/22.2/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/22.2/leim' 
'--with-x=yes' '--with-x-toolkit=athena' '--with-toolkit-scroll-bars' 
'build_alias=i486-linux-gnu' 'host_alias=i486-linux-gnu' 'CFLAGS=-DDEBIAN 
-g -O2' 'LDFLAGS=-g' 'CPPFLAGS=''

Important settings:
   value of $LC_ALL: nil
   value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
   value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
   value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
   value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
   value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
   value of $LC_TIME: nil
   value of $LANG: C
   locale-coding-system: nil
   default-enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Text

Minor modes in effect:
   tooltip-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   unify-8859-on-encoding-mode: t
   utf-translate-cjk-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   column-number-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t