Subject: bug#3332: 23.0.93; Printing on MS Windows

From: "Francis Wright" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 10:43:09 +0100

Please write in English if possible, because the Emacs maintainers
usually do not have translators to read other languages for them.

Your bug report will be posted to the [email-masked] mailing
list.

Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug
and the precise symptoms of the bug:

I started Emacs with the -Q option, then clicked on Print Buffer in
the File menu. This gave the error message

direct-print-region-helper: Opening output file: permission denied,
c:/DOT4_001

My printer is an hp LaserJet 1010 connected via USB and the printer
driver properties show that it is connect to the port DOT4_001. I
think the problem is that "c:/" has been prepended to the port name.

I see that the same thing happens in Emacs 22.3. (I don't print from
Emacs very often!)

If Emacs crashed, and you have the Emacs process in the gdb debugger,
please include the output from the following gdb commands:
    `bt full' and `xbacktrace'.
If you would like to further debug the crash, please read the file
c:/NTEmacs/emacs-23.0.93/etc/DEBUG for instructions.

In GNU Emacs 23.0.93.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.0.6001)
 of 2009-05-02 on SOFT-MJASON
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.0.6001
configured using `configure --with-gcc (3.4)'

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: ENG
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: cp1252
  default-enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  global-auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <menu-bar> <file> <print-buffer> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <menu-bar> <help-menu> <se
nd-emacs-bug-report>

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Spooling with options (page headers are not supported)...
direct-print-region-helper: Opening output file: permission denied,
c:/DOT4_001