Subject: Re: bug#33301: 27.0.50; broken elisp indentation for non-definition symbols starting with "def.."

From: João Távora <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2020 20:59:07 +0100

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> João Távora <[email-masked]> writes:

> It means indenting some things in a different way than today?  That
> leads to whitespace changes.

Hmmm, an indentation bug such as this is, by definition, about an
incorrect amount of ... whitespace.  Right?

>>> I'd be against that -- again, because it leads to whitespace VC churn.
>> Again, I'm missing something: this option wouldn't lead to that, I think
> If some people have the variable set to 'insane, they would indent the
> code they're writing differently than the rest, which would lead to
> whitespace churn.

Well, they did set it to 'insane :-).  I don't see the problem here,
this variable would be similar to indent-tabs-mode.  If some people set
that differently it'll be equally disastrous.  But anyway, we probably
don't need the variable since I don't expect out of tree code to be
particularly affected: that's because, according to code conventions,
definitions should start with a package-specific prefix anyway.

João