Subject: bug#33300: closed (Re: bug#33300: hplip 3.18.9 contains non-free binary blobs)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2018 17:31:02 +0000

Your bug report

#33300: hplip 3.18.9 contains non-free binary blobs

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
33300: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=33300
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#33300: hplip 3.18.9 contains non-free binary blobs
From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
To: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2018 18:30:07 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Closing this bug, which Efraim addressed in commit
b44b1f08f6945ea8370746cfdadb44c7dea9ea3e.

Thanks!

Ludo’.

Subject: hplip 3.18.9 contains non-free binary blobs
From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <[email-masked]>, Efraim Flashner <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2018 11:19:35 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello,

The tarball of hplip 3.18.9 contains several .so files that it installs
as-is:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
ludo@ribbon ~/src/guix$ (cd /tmp; tar xf $(guix build -S hplip))
ludo@ribbon ~/src/guix$ find /tmp/hplip-3.18.9 -name \*.so
/tmp/hplip-3.18.9/prnt/plugins/hbpl1-arm32.so
/tmp/hplip-3.18.9/prnt/plugins/hbpl1-x86_64.so
/tmp/hplip-3.18.9/prnt/plugins/lj-x86_32.so
/tmp/hplip-3.18.9/prnt/plugins/hbpl1-arm64.so
/tmp/hplip-3.18.9/prnt/plugins/hbpl1-x86_32.so
/tmp/hplip-3.18.9/prnt/plugins/lj-arm64.so
/tmp/hplip-3.18.9/prnt/plugins/lj-x86_64.so
/tmp/hplip-3.18.9/prnt/plugins/lj-arm32.so
/tmp/hplip-3.18.9/prnt/hpcups/libImageProcessor-x86_32.so
/tmp/hplip-3.18.9/prnt/hpcups/libImageProcessor-x86_64.so
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

I tried removing them with a snippet (patch attached), but installation
eventually fails while trying to link against libImageProcessor, which
is now missing.

In <https://bugs.launchpad.net/hplip/+bug/1785230/> people suggest that
3.18.6 is the last known-good version.  Indeed that version does not
have the obnoxious libImageProcessor, so that should be fine.  It does
come with the non-free binary plug-ins, though these are just plugins so
removing them will be easier:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
ludo@ribbon ~/src/guix$ find /tmp/hplip-3.18.6/ -name \*.so
/tmp/hplip-3.18.6/prnt/plugins/hbpl1-arm32.so
/tmp/hplip-3.18.6/prnt/plugins/hbpl1-x86_64.so
/tmp/hplip-3.18.6/prnt/plugins/lj-x86_32.so
/tmp/hplip-3.18.6/prnt/plugins/hbpl1-arm64.so
/tmp/hplip-3.18.6/prnt/plugins/hbpl1-x86_32.so
/tmp/hplip-3.18.6/prnt/plugins/lj-arm64.so
/tmp/hplip-3.18.6/prnt/plugins/lj-x86_64.so
/tmp/hplip-3.18.6/prnt/plugins/lj-arm32.so
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Thus, I propose to:

  1. Revert to 3.18.6 (we’ll upgrade if and when hplip becomes free
     again.)

  2. Add a snippet to remove the non-free plugins.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Ludo’.

diff --git a/gnu/packages/cups.scm b/gnu/packages/cups.scm
index 4259648c69..c0ac365691 100644
--- a/gnu/packages/cups.scm
+++ b/gnu/packages/cups.scm
@@ -410,6 +410,19 @@ device-specific programs to convert and print many types of files.")
                '(begin
                   (substitute* "prnt/hpcups/genPCLm.cpp"
                     (("boolean") "bool"))
+
+                  ;; Starting from version 3.18.9, hplip comes with binary
+                  ;; blobs under prnt/hpcups and prnt/plugins.  Remove them.
+                  (for-each delete-file (find-files "." "\\.so$"))
+
+                  ;; This trick changes the behavior of the
+                  ;; 'install-data-hook' target so that it doesn't install the
+                  ;; binary blobs.
+                  (substitute* "Makefile.in"
+                    (("^UNAME =.*")
+                     "UNAME = free-software-only-thanks\n")
+                    (("prnt/hpcups/libImageProcessor-([[:graph:]]+)\\.so")
+                     ""))
                   #t))))
     (build-system gnu-build-system)
     (home-page "https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imaging-and-printing")