Subject: bug#3330: Is this a bug? (Emacs 23.0.93)

From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 11:11:47 +0000

Hi!

On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 01:38:17PM +0800, liu shukui wrote:
> Hi all,

> I am using Emacs 23.0.93, When I run the  "occur" command in  the c++
> source file,  this problem happens occasionally.  Is this a bug that
> should be fixed?

Maybe.  :-)

> Error during redisplay: (void-function
> font-lock-match-c++-style-declaration-item-and-skip-to-next) [6 times]

A grep through the Emacs 23 lisp sources doesn't find this function (even
when I remember not to quote the two plus signs ;-).  However, it existed
in Emacs 21, but was removed from Emacs 22 after the font locking stuff
for C++ Mode (etc.) was moved into CC Mode.

There still exists the function
font-lock-match-c-style-declaration-item-and-skip-to-next
                ^^
in font-lock.el, which obviously is very like the one you're missing.
I don't know why the C one is still there but the C++ isn't.

> GNU Emacs 23.0.93.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.12.11) of
> 2009-05-04 on tux

At a guess, you're somehow using old code, maybe something you
byte-compiled when Emacs 21 was in fashion.  If that doesn't look like
the problem, could you please see if you can reproduce the problem when
you start Emacs-23 with "emacs -Q".

-- 
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).