Subject: bug#33262: guix fails to find and use some available substitutes

From: Julien Lepiller <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2018 09:26:25 +0100

I think guix' message is a bit confusing: the .drv file is always created by guix, it's the derivation. The derivation is built, which results in a new store path. It can be built locally or by using a substitute. What you see in your store is the derivation (.drv), not its result. You can open that file to find where the result will be stored and check if it exists on your machine.

Le 5 novembre 2018 02:09:56 GMT+01:00, George Clemmer <[email-masked]> a écrit :
>I run 'guix system vm-image' VMs on a GuixSD server (hostname g1). The
>VMs are configured to get substitutes from g1 in addition to the
>official Guix servers.
>
>This works great except that the VMs are failing to find/use some of
>the
>substitutes that are available on g1.  E.g., in the attached log
>(setup.log.gz) of the first 'guix package' issued on VM sysi58, curl is
>built ...
>
>building
>/gnu/store/24ag580271wa640529ycykdwj0lk0g6z-curl-7.61.1.tar.xz.drv...
>downloading from https://curl.haxx.se/download/curl-7.61.1.tar.xz...
>building /gnu/store/17lw3svpjqygpj739yynyz6b8abddikx-curl-7.61.1.drv...
>
>... when the substitute is available in the g1 store ...
>
>  /gnu/store:
>  -r--r--r--    2 root root            3747 Dec 31  1969
>   17lw3svpjqygpj739yynyz6b8abddikx-curl-7.61.1.drv
>
>This is "infrequent", in the sense that a high percentabe of the
>substitutes available from g1 are being found and used. However, these
>other packages for which substitutes are available on g1 are also
>built:
>
>downloading from ftp://ftp.knackered.org/pub/psutils/psutils.tar.gz...
>downloading from http://download.osgeo.org/libtiff/tiff-4.0.9.tar.gz...
>downloading from
>https://ftpmirror.gnu.org/gnu/groff/groff-1.22.3.tar.gz...
>downloading from
>https://github.com/apple/cups/releases/download/v2.2.8/cups-2.2.8-source.tar.gz...
>downloading from
>https://github.com/ArtifexSoftware/ghostpdl-downloads/releases/download/gs924/ghostscript-9.24.tar.xz...
>downloading from
>https://gnupg.org/ftp/gcrypt/libgcrypt/libgcrypt-1.8.3.tar.bz2...
>downloading from
>http://www.x.org/releases/individual/lib/libX11-1.6.6.tar.bz2...
>downloading from
>http://www.x.org/releases/individual/lib/xtrans-1.3.5.tar.bz2...
>
>Details:
>
>Using Guix from Git:
>
>Server g1: sys.scm    v0.15.0-2913-g21c51ebd6
>
>VM sysi58: sysi58.scm v0.15.0-3115-g7571ec357
>
>TIA - George