Subject: bug#33258: inhibit-select-window

From: Juri Linkov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2018 23:56:36 +0200

tags 33258 wontfix
close 33258
stop

>> But there is a simpler and safer solution that I already mentioned:
>> to restore an original window in post-command-hook.  Or even better
>> using your new window-state-change-functions: when inhibit-select-window
>> was found in an alist from display-buffer-alist then check whether
>> the selected window was changed in an alist of changes provided by
>> window-state-change-functions and restore an old selected window.
>
> In either case let's get 'display-buffer' out of this.  After all, its
> doc-string says
>
>   "Display BUFFER-OR-NAME in some window, without selecting it."

I see now that it's impossible to implement inhibit-select-window,
so I'm closing this feature request.

For bug#32790 I thought about adding inhibit-select-window to
display-buffer-overriding-action in windmove-display-in-direction,
but it was easier to do the same in post-command-hook.