Subject: bug#33207: 26.1; Incorrect display of braille unicode

From: Justin Heyes-Jones <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2018 08:50:46 -0700

Hi, I'm not sure if this is a bug or if there is some setting related to
the display of unicode that I don't know about.

The problem is that the braille unicode character BRAILLE PATTERN
BLANK (0x2800)
doesn't display as blank but appears as what looks like a different
character. I have submitted a question to stackoverflow which includes
screen shots of what the code should look like in both terminal and in
emacs. I am running on macOS Mojave 10.14.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/53024626/why-is-emacs-displaying-unicode-character-braille-pattern-blank-as-a-non-blank-c

Thanks!

Justin

In GNU Emacs 26.1 (build 1, x86_64-apple-darwin14.5.0, NS appkit-1348.17
Version 10.10.5 (Build 14F2511))
of 2018-05-30 built on builder10-10.porkrind.org
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.1671
Recent messages:
Mark set [2 times]
(No changes need to be saved)
Updating buffer list...
Formats have changed, recompiling...done
Updating buffer list...done
Commands: m, u, t, RET, g, k, S, D, Q; q to quit; h for help
Quit [2 times]
Mark saved where search started

Configured using:
'configure --with-ns '--enable-locallisppath=/Library/Application
Support/Emacs/${version}/site-lisp:/Library/Application
Support/Emacs/site-lisp' --with-modules'

Configured features:
NOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS NS MODULES THREADS

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_CA.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Org

Minor modes in effect:
  recentf-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: 1
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
~/Dropbox/org-9.1.6/lisp/ob-stan hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-stan
~/Dropbox/org-9.1.6/lisp/ob-exp hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-exp
~/Dropbox/org-9.1.6/lisp/ob-J hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-J
~/Dropbox/org-9.1.6/lisp/org-eshell hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-eshell
~/Dropbox/org-9.1.6/lisp/ob-emacs-lisp hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-emacs-lisp
~/Dropbox/org-9.1.6/lisp/org-gnus hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-gnus
~/Dropbox/org-9.1.6/lisp/ob-css hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-css
~/Dropbox/org-9.1.6/lisp/ob-lob hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-lob
~/Dropbox/org-9.1.6/lisp/ob-forth hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-forth
~/Dropbox/org-9.1.6/lisp/org-macs hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-macs
~/Dropbox/org-9.1.6/lisp/ob hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob
~/Dropbox/org-9.1.6/lisp/org-version hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-version
~/Dropbox/org-9.1.6/lisp/ob-scheme hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-scheme
~/Dropbox/org-9.1.6/lisp/ox hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ox
~/Dropbox/org-9.1.6/lisp/ob-abc hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-abc
~/Dropbox/org-9.1.6/lisp/ob-C hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-C
~/Dropbox/org-9.1.6/lisp/org-capture hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-capture
~/Dropbox/org-9.1.6/lisp/ob-ref hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-ref
~/Dropbox/org-9.1.6/lisp/ob-clojure hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-clojure
~/Dropbox/org-9.1.6/lisp/org-mouse hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-mouse
~/Dropbox/org-9.1.6/lisp/ob-ledger hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-ledger
~/Dropbox/org-9.1.6/lisp/org-ctags hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-ctags
~/Dropbox/org-9.1.6/lisp/org-entities hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-entities
~/Dropbox/org-9.1.6/lisp/org-archive hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-archive
~/Dropbox/org-9.1.6/lisp/ob-screen hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-screen
~/Dropbox/org-9.1.6/lisp/ob-haskell hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-haskell
~/Dropbox/org-9.1.6/lisp/ob-asymptote hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-asymptote
~/Dropbox/org-9.1.6/lisp/org-mhe hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-mhe
~/Dropbox/org-9.1.6/lisp/org-table hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-table
~/Dropbox/org-9.1.6/lisp/ob-keys hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-keys
~/Dropbox/org-9.1.6/lisp/ox-org hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ox-org
~/Dropbox/org-9.1.6/lisp/org-plot hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-plot
~/Dropbox/org-9.1.6/lisp/ob-awk hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-awk
~/Dropbox/org-9.1.6/lisp/ob-groovy hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-groovy
~/Dropbox/org-9.1.6/lisp/ob-octave hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-octave
~/Dropbox/org-9.1.6/lisp/org-faces hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-faces
~/Dropbox/org-9.1.6/lisp/org-colview hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-colview
~/Dropbox/org-9.1.6/lisp/ob-R hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-R
~/Dropbox/org-9.1.6/lisp/org-timer hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-timer
~/Dropbox/org-9.1.6/lisp/ob-ebnf hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-ebnf
~/Dropbox/org-9.1.6/lisp/org-mobile hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-mobile
~/Dropbox/org-9.1.6/lisp/ob-fortran hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-fortran
~/Dropbox/org-9.1.6/lisp/ob-shell hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-shell
~/Dropbox/org-9.1.6/lisp/ob-perl hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-perl
~/Dropbox/org-9.1.6/lisp/ob-sqlite hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-sqlite
~/Dropbox/org-9.1.6/lisp/ob-sed hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-sed
~/Dropbox/org-9.1.6/lisp/org-list hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-list
~/Dropbox/org-9.1.6/lisp/ob-ruby hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-ruby
~/Dropbox/org-9.1.6/lisp/ob-eval hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-eval
~/Dropbox/org-9.1.6/lisp/org-habit hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-habit
~/Dropbox/org-9.1.6/lisp/org-clock hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-clock
~/Dropbox/org-9.1.6/lisp/ox-html hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ox-html
~/Dropbox/org-9.1.6/lisp/org-src hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-src
~/Dropbox/org-9.1.6/lisp/ob-lisp hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-lisp
~/Dropbox/org-9.1.6/lisp/ob-ditaa hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-ditaa
~/Dropbox/org-9.1.6/lisp/org-pcomplete hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-pcomplete
~/Dropbox/org-9.1.6/lisp/org-lint hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-lint
~/Dropbox/org-9.1.6/lisp/org-rmail hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-rmail
~/Dropbox/org-9.1.6/lisp/ox-latex hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ox-latex
~/Dropbox/org-9.1.6/lisp/ob-sass hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-sass
~/Dropbox/org-9.1.6/lisp/ob-io hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-io
~/Dropbox/org-9.1.6/lisp/ob-tangle hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-tangle
~/Dropbox/org-9.1.6/lisp/ob-calc hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-calc
~/Dropbox/org-9.1.6/lisp/ob-java hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-java
~/Dropbox/org-9.1.6/lisp/ox-icalendar hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ox-icalendar
~/Dropbox/org-9.1.6/lisp/org-eww hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-eww
~/Dropbox/org-9.1.6/lisp/ox-md hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ox-md
~/Dropbox/org-9.1.6/lisp/ox-beamer hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ox-beamer
~/Dropbox/org-9.1.6/lisp/org-element hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-element
~/Dropbox/org-9.1.6/lisp/org-protocol hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-protocol
~/Dropbox/org-9.1.6/lisp/ob-mscgen hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-mscgen
~/Dropbox/org-9.1.6/lisp/ob-gnuplot hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-gnuplot
~/Dropbox/org-9.1.6/lisp/ob-latex hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-latex
~/Dropbox/org-9.1.6/lisp/org-id hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-id
~/Dropbox/org-9.1.6/lisp/ob-vala hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-vala
~/Dropbox/org-9.1.6/lisp/ox-man hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ox-man
~/Dropbox/org-9.1.6/lisp/org-feed hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-feed
~/Dropbox/org-9.1.6/lisp/ob-lua hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-lua
~/Dropbox/org-9.1.6/lisp/ob-table hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-table
~/Dropbox/org-9.1.6/lisp/ob-ocaml hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-ocaml
~/Dropbox/org-9.1.6/lisp/ob-coq hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-coq
~/Dropbox/org-9.1.6/lisp/ob-picolisp hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-picolisp
~/Dropbox/org-9.1.6/lisp/org-indent hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-indent
~/Dropbox/org-9.1.6/lisp/ob-lilypond hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-lilypond
~/Dropbox/org-9.1.6/lisp/ob-matlab hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-matlab
~/Dropbox/org-9.1.6/lisp/org-datetree hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-datetree
~/Dropbox/org-9.1.6/lisp/ob-python hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-python
~/Dropbox/org-9.1.6/lisp/org-bbdb hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-bbdb
~/Dropbox/org-9.1.6/lisp/ob-makefile hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-makefile
~/Dropbox/org-9.1.6/lisp/org-duration hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-duration
~/Dropbox/org-9.1.6/lisp/org-agenda hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-agenda
~/Dropbox/org-9.1.6/lisp/ob-dot hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-dot
~/Dropbox/org-9.1.6/lisp/ob-js hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-js
~/Dropbox/org-9.1.6/lisp/ox-publish hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ox-publish
~/Dropbox/org-9.1.6/lisp/org-inlinetask hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-inlinetask
~/Dropbox/org-9.1.6/lisp/ob-org hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-org
~/Dropbox/org-9.1.6/lisp/ob-core hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-core
~/Dropbox/org-9.1.6/lisp/org-compat hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-compat
~/Dropbox/org-9.1.6/lisp/org-docview hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-docview
~/Dropbox/org-9.1.6/lisp/ox-odt hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ox-odt
~/Dropbox/org-9.1.6/lisp/ob-plantuml hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-plantuml
~/Dropbox/org-9.1.6/lisp/ox-ascii hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ox-ascii
~/Dropbox/org-9.1.6/lisp/org-loaddefs hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-loaddefs
~/Dropbox/org-9.1.6/lisp/org-w3m hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-w3m
~/Dropbox/org-9.1.6/lisp/org-bibtex hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-bibtex
~/Dropbox/org-9.1.6/lisp/org-info hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-info
~/Dropbox/org-9.1.6/lisp/ob-hledger hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-hledger
~/Dropbox/org-9.1.6/lisp/ob-maxima hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-maxima
~/Dropbox/org-9.1.6/lisp/org hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org
~/Dropbox/org-9.1.6/lisp/org-macro hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-macro
~/Dropbox/org-9.1.6/lisp/ob-sql hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-sql
~/Dropbox/org-9.1.6/lisp/org-attach hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-attach
~/Dropbox/org-9.1.6/lisp/ob-processing hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-processing
~/Dropbox/org-9.1.6/lisp/ox-texinfo hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ox-texinfo
~/Dropbox/org-9.1.6/lisp/org-irc hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-irc
~/Dropbox/org-9.1.6/lisp/org-crypt hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-crypt
~/Dropbox/org-9.1.6/lisp/org-footnote hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-footnote
~/Dropbox/org-9.1.6/lisp/org-install hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-install
~/Dropbox/org-9.1.6/lisp/ob-comint hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-comint
~/Dropbox/org-9.1.6/lisp/ob-shen hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-shen

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug ibuf-ext ibuffer ibuffer-loaddefs
misearch multi-isearch org-rmail org-mhe org-irc org-info org-gnus nnir
org-docview doc-view jka-compr image-mode org-bibtex bibtex org-bbdb
org-w3m org-element avl-tree generator org org-macro org-footnote
org-pcomplete pcomplete org-list org-faces org-entities noutline outline
org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob ob-tangle org-src easy-mmode ob-ref ob-lob
ob-table ob-keys ob-exp ob-comint comint ansi-color ring ob-core ob-eval
org-compat org-macs pcase org-loaddefs find-func cal-menu calendar
cal-loaddefs gnus-sum gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-cloud nnimap
nnmail mail-source tls gnutls utf7 netrc nnoo parse-time gnus-spec
gnus-int gnus-range message rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs format-spec
rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win gnus
nnheader gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs elec-pair server webjump
browse-url justins-utils date-util timezone windmove
color-theme-solarized lively cyberpunk color-theme sendmail rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils reporter ace-jump-mode
package epg-config url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio
eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs password-cache url-vars seq byte-opt
bytecomp byte-compile cconv advice edmacro kmacro recentf tree-widget
wid-edit easymenu savehist cl gv cl-loaddefs cl-lib time-date tooltip
eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel
term/ns-win ns-win ucs-normalize mule-util term/common-win tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer
cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote kqueue cocoa ns
multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 596514 53776)
(symbols 48 35512 1)
(miscs 40 406 840)
(strings 32 84772 1191)
(string-bytes 1 2520251)
(vectors 16 47647)
(vector-slots 8 841306 14008)
(floats 8 312 456)
(intervals 56 1182 0)
(buffers 992 15))