Subject: bug#33174: 27.0.50; Dump fails on GNU/Linux ppc64le

From: Thomas Fitzsimmons <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2018 21:28:11 -0400

Paul Eggert <[email-masked]> writes:

> Thomas Fitzsimmons wrote:
>> I'm running the Linux-libre 4.18 kernel built from
>> source with powernv_defconfig
>
> In that case, please also verify that your kernel configuration has
> enabled XATTR_PAX.

Hmm, the XATTR_PAX kernel configuration option does not exist in the
kernel sources I'm using; I haven't applied any hardening or Grsecurity
patches, it's just the upstream Linux-libre 4.18 kernel, built with:

make powernv_defconfig
make

> See, for example,
> <https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Hardened/PaX_Quickstart>. If you have a
> superhardened kernel that refuses to disable ASLR under any
> circumstances, then you'll need to build Emacs with './configure
> CANNOT_DUMP=yes', something I can't recommend for production until we
> get the pdumper branch merged in.

I guess I could experiment with adding the PaX patches to my kernel so
that XATTR_PAX would take effect, but I'm surprised Emacs can't complete
the bootstrap step when the kernel is in a default configuration.

Thomas