Subject: Re: bug#33166: automake --add-missing does not install config.rpath when AM_ICONV is used

From: Mathieu Lirzin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2018 21:54:47 +0200

Hello Stuart,

Stuart Caie <[email-masked]> writes:

> the automake macro AM_ICONV requires the auxiliary program config.rpath,
> however automake --add-missing will not install it.
>
> Technically, AM_ICONV is not distributed with automake, and neither is
> is config.rpath. However, automake recognises config.rpath as a special
> file to distribute nonetheless.
>
> Could config.rpath be added to automake's list of auxiliary programs,
> like ar-lib, config.guess and so on?
>
> If not, could there be some mechanism added to automake so other
> packages can tell it to add their required files? e.g. could gettext.m4
> which defines AM_ICONV include some special macro that tells automake
> that config.rpath is needed and can be found in <location> ?

“config.rpath” which is maintained in GNU Gettext is already copied
inside the target source tree by the ‘autopoint’ program which is
automatically run by ‘autoreconf --install’ when the Gettext macros are
added to “configure.ac”.  ‘autoreconf’ serves as a meta command for the
autotools which should be used instead of manually running ‘autoconf’,
‘aclocal’, ‘automake’, ... in sequence.

Unless you disagree, I will close this bug.

Thanks for the report.

-- 
Mathieu Lirzin
GPG: F2A3 8D7E EB2B 6640 5761  070D 0ADE E100 9460 4D37