Subject: bug#33153: closed (Re: bug#33153: guix environment icedtea)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2018 19:08:02 +0000

Your bug report

#33153: guix environment icedtea

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
33153: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=33153
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#33153: guix environment icedtea
From: Björn Höfling <[email-masked]>
To: Nam Nguyen <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2018 21:07:26 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On Thu, 25 Oct 2018 10:25:01 -0700
Nam Nguyen <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I want to use guix environment with [email-masked]:jdk.
> --8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
> user@antelope ~$ guix environment [email-masked]:jdk
> user@antelope ~ [env]$ java -version
> java version "1.7.0_171"
> OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea 2.6.13) (linux-gnu build
> 1.7.0_171-b02) OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 24.171-b02, mixed mode)
> --8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---
> 
> When I installed to my user profile, I was able to get the desired
> icedtea version.
> --8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
> user@antelope ~$ guix package -i [email-masked]:jdk
> user@antelope ~$ java -version
> openjdk version "1.8.0_161"
> OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea 3.7.0) (guix build 1.8.0_161-b12)
> OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.161-b12, mixed mode)
> --8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---
> 
> Is guix environment installing an incorrect version of icedtea?

Hi Nam,

read the docs :-)

guix environment PACKAGE

is setting up an environment FOR developing PACKAGE, i.e. all its
dependencies/compilers are added to the environment.

If you want to have a package directly IN the environment, use the
--ad-hoc switch:

guix environment --ad-hoc PACKAGE

You can even combine both, for example to add more tools:

guix environment --pure guix --ad-hoc git

That would create a pure environment where the git command is
available and all tools to develop guix. The guix command is not in
here!

In your case, IcedTea 2 is used to develop IcedTea 3, that's the reason
why you found that in your environment.

Finally, you can add a "-- command" to the environment to execute a
command, so this should tell you the right version and afterwards
automatically exit the environment(-C == --container, to be absolutely
sure):

$ guix environment -C --ad-hoc [email-masked]:jdk -- javac -version
javac 1.8.0_161

I'm closing that bug,

Björn

Subject: guix environment icedtea
From: Nam Nguyen <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2018 10:25:01 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I want to use guix environment with [email-masked]:jdk.
--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
user@antelope ~$ guix environment [email-masked]:jdk
user@antelope ~ [env]$ java -version
java version "1.7.0_171"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea 2.6.13) (linux-gnu build 1.7.0_171-b02)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 24.171-b02, mixed mode)
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

When I installed to my user profile, I was able to get the desired
icedtea version.
--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
user@antelope ~$ guix package -i [email-masked]:jdk
user@antelope ~$ java -version
openjdk version "1.8.0_161"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea 3.7.0) (guix build 1.8.0_161-b12)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.161-b12, mixed mode)
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Is guix environment installing an incorrect version of icedtea?