Subject: bug#33146: .authinfo.gpg not automatically loaded when using (dired) on macOS

From: Ted Zlatanov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2018 21:53:37 +0000

On Fri, 09 Nov 2018 10:45:17 +0100 Michael Albinus <[email-masked]> wrote: 

MA> Requirements from ange-ftp.el would be at least

MA> - Support of the "account" token.
MA> - Support of the "default" token.
MA> - Check of proper file permissions of "~/.netrc" or whatever file is
MA>   specified (see ange-ftp-disable-netrc-security-check).

MA> The "account" token is already parsed in auth-source.el, but it is not
MA> divided from the "login" token. Both are handled via the common keyword
MA> :user.

MA> The "default" token is already parsed in auth-source.el, but I'm not
MA> sure it is used in the sense ange-ftp.el expects it. In auth-source.el
MA> this token is expanded to an entry of its own, with an unspecified
MA> "machine". In ange-ftp.el, the tokens of "default" are used for all
MA> other entries, replacing missing tokens. AFAIU.

MA> Once this is prepared in auth-source.el, I would be able to integrate it
MA> in ange-ftp.el. That is a more simple task; I've done this already for Tramp.

Hi Michael,

if you or a user could define the desired behavior as tests against
auth-source.el (we already have that set up in the core), I'd be happy
to implement them. Something like "for this call, with this
authinfo/netrc content, I expect to get back this data."

I wasn't able to deduce the desired behavior on my own, unfortunately.

Checking the permissions of the netrc file sounds like a good feature.
For a GPG file it's not so important.

MA> - Everything I have forgotten to tell here ...

There's always a few of those... :)

Ted