Subject: bug#33146: .authinfo.gpg not automatically loaded when using (dired) on macOS

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2018 10:45:17 +0100

Christian Johansson <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi Michael

Hi Christian,

> Would it be a huge task extending auto-source.el to make it compatible
> with ange-ftp as well?

It is more complex than I expected initially, that's why I haven't
started it. And honestly, I'm rather an auth-source.el user than a
developer; I'm not very familiar with that code. That's why it might be
better if somebody else does it.

Requirements from ange-ftp.el would be at least

- Support of the "account" token.
- Support of the "default" token.
- Check of proper file permissions of "~/.netrc" or whatever file is
  specified (see ange-ftp-disable-netrc-security-check).
- Everything I have forgotten to tell here ...

The "account" token is already parsed in auth-source.el, but it is not
divided from the "login" token. Both are handled via the common keyword
:user.

The "default" token is already parsed in auth-source.el, but I'm not
sure it is used in the sense ange-ftp.el expects it. In auth-source.el
this token is expanded to an entry of its own, with an unspecified
"machine". In ange-ftp.el, the tokens of "default" are used for all
other entries, replacing missing tokens. AFAIU.

Once this is prepared in auth-source.el, I would be able to integrate it
in ange-ftp.el. That is a more simple task; I've done this already for Tramp.

> I think many people would appreciate that feature, but it's not really
> a bug rather a feature request

Agreed. Let's keep this bug (wishlist) open, maybe somebody takes over
the task. I'm Cc'ing Ted Zlatanov, the author of auth-source.el.

> Regards
> Christian

Best regards, Michael.