Subject: bug#33145: closed (Re: bug#33145: 27.0.50; rcirc race receives duplicate messages)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 03 Nov 2018 08:49:02 +0000

Your bug report

#33145: 27.0.50; rcirc race receives duplicate messages

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
33145: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=33145
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#33145: 27.0.50; rcirc race receives duplicate messages
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: "Basil L. Contovounesios" <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 03 Nov 2018 10:47:41 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: "Basil L. Contovounesios" <[email-masked]>
> Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2018 04:07:33 +0100
> 
> > Patch addressing this to follow.
> 
> I attach said patch.

Thanks, pushed to the emacs-26 branch.

Subject: 27.0.50; rcirc race receives duplicate messages
From: "Basil L. Contovounesios" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2018 04:02:35 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Currently, rcirc-filter clears the accumulator variable
rcirc-process-output only after each of its constituent lines has been
fed to rcirc-process-server-response, which in turn runs the abnormal
hook rcirc-receive-message-functions.

If this hook contains a function which allows process filters to be run,
e.g. by way of accept-process-output, and if process output arrives soon
enough, then rcirc-filter might be called more than once before its
previous invocation has managed to clear rcirc-process-output.

In other words, subsequent invocations may see process output that is
already being handled by previous invocations, thus potentially printing
duplicate messages in the process buffer.

Patch addressing this to follow.

Thanks,

-- 
Basil

In GNU Emacs 27.0.50 (build 31, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)
 of 2018-10-24 built on thunk
Repository revision: 00027ff9d0f646662458bdb47cc7e2214f439698
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12001000
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux buster/sid

Configured using:
 'configure --config-cache --prefix=/home/blc/.local --with-mailutils
 --with-x-toolkit=lucid --with-modules --with-file-notification=yes
 --with-x 'CC=ccache gcc' 'CFLAGS=-O2 -march=native -pipe''

Configured features:
XAW3D XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GPM DBUS GSETTINGS
GLIB NOTIFY ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT
ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS LUCID X11 XDBE XIM MODULES THREADS LIBSYSTEMD
JSON LCMS2 GMP