Subject: bug#33140: 27.0.50; `gnus-posting-styles' sees nil ‘message-reply-headers’ variable

From: Eric Abrahamsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2018 12:54:06 -0800

"N. Jackson" <[email-masked]> writes:

> I'm trying to set up a Gnus posting style that makes use of the
> ‘message-reply-headers’ variable, but the behaviour I see indicates that
> this variable is always nil (in the context where the posting styles are
> evaluated).
>
> It seems (this is a wild guess) that the function
> `gnus-configure-posting-styles' that applies the posting styles that
> match, and which is called from `message-mode-hook' (I believe), is
> called before `message-reply-headers' is set.
>
> Either that, or `gnus-configure-posting-styles' is evaluated in the
> context of the wrong buffer (`message-reply-headers' is buffer local to
> the *unsent reply...* buffer).

So far as I can tell, the problem is the former --
`gnus-configure-posting-styles' is called before `message-reply-headers'
is set.

Both `message-reply' and `message-followup' first call
`message-pop-to-buffer' (which ends up calling `message-mode' and thus
the `message-mode-hooks', and thus `gnus-configure-posting-styles').

Then they set `message-reply-headers'.

Then they call `message-setup', which calls `message-setup-1', which
runs the `message-setup-hook', which would be a spot where
`message-reply-headers' would be accessible.

I will check and see if this changed sometime recently.

I would say that posting-style configuration could be moved to the
`message-setup-hook', except that that would be guaranteed to wreck all
manner of existing configurations and get us lots of angry emails.

But... I think that's the issue.

E