Subject: Re: bug#33140: 27.0.50; `gnus-posting-styles' sees nil‘message-reply-headers’ variable

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2019 00:47:08 +0200

"N. Jackson" <[email-masked]> writes:

> Either that, or `gnus-configure-posting-styles' is evaluated in the
> context of the wrong buffer (`message-reply-headers' is buffer local to
> the *unsent reply...* buffer).
>
> In (info "(gnus)Posting Styles") it says:
>
>    The attribute value can be a string, a function with zero arguments
>   (the return value will be used), a variable (its value will be used)
>   or a list (it will be ‘eval’ed and the return value will be used). The
>   functions and sexps are called/‘eval’ed in the message buffer that is
>   being set up. The headers of the current article are available through
>   the ‘message-reply-headers’ variable, which is a vector of the
>   following headers: number subject from date id references chars lines
>   xref extra.

I think it's just wrong -- I don't think this has ever been possible.

message-mode makes message-reply-headers buffer-local, and
message-reply-headers is then set afterwards, which is logical.  But the
Gnus posting styles is called from message-mode-hook, and the variable
is nil at this point.

So I've just removed the faulty documentation -- you can't use the
message stuff here.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no