Subject: bug#33140: 27.0.50; `gnus-posting-styles' sees nil ‘message-reply-headers’ variable

From: Eric Abrahamsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2018 19:17:09 -0800

"N. Jackson" <[email-masked]> writes:

> At 12:54 -0800 on Wednesday 2018-12-05, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:
>
>> "N. Jackson" <[email-masked]> writes:
>>

[...]

>> I will check and see if this changed sometime recently.
>
> I haven't been able to convince myself that `message-reply-headers' can
> ever have worked properly with Gnus posting styles. 
>
>> I would say that posting-style configuration could be moved to the
>> `message-setup-hook',
>
> That sounds right, I think. 

The other possibility is: `gnus-configure-posting-styles' adds all its
actions to `message-setup-hook'. Perhaps the way it's meant to work is:
g-c-p-s adds *forms* to the message-setup-hook, but those forms aren't
actually evaluated until the hook is running, at which point we should
have access to everything we need.

I would need to look more closely at it to tell if that's the case, or
if it *could* be the case, but it would be one way that this code might
once have worked.

>> except that that would be guaranteed to wreck all manner of existing
>> configurations and get us lots of angry emails.
>
> Maybe. I haven't been able to think of how it would negatively affect
> existing setups, but probably I'm just lacking in imagination!

You'd be amazed at the number of ways things can blow up!