Subject: 27.0.50; (make-thread) TRAMP interactive freeze macOS 10.14

From: Christian Johansson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2018 12:15:22 +0200

Hi!

I am able to reproduce this on two different computers using macOS 10.14 
but I haven't tested this on any other system.

Steps to reproduce:
1. Open Emacs without any configuration: src/emacs -Q
2. Make sure you are in *scratch* buffer
3. Paste following Emacs Lisp code:

;; FTP URL: ftp.dlptest.com or ftp://ftp.dlptest.com/
;; FTP User: [email-masked]
;; Password: e73jzTRTNqCN9PYAAjjn
(make-thread (lambda()
                (message "Listing directory files..")
                (let ((files (directory-files 
"/ftp:[email-masked]@ftp.dlptest.com:/")))
                  (message "Opened directory")
                  (message "Directory files: %s" files))))

4. Run M-x eval-buffer
5. Emacs asks for FTP password, paste in mini-buffer: e73jzTRTNqCN9PYAAjjn
6. Emacs now hangs, asks for password again and you can't stop it using 
C-g. You get error in terminal:

Christians-Air:emacs christianjohansson$ src/emacs -Q
2018-10-24 12:07:58.383 emacs[627:14815] Failed to initialize color list 
unarchiver: Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=4864 "*** 
-[NSKeyedUnarchiver 
_initForReadingFromData:error:throwLegacyExceptions:]: non-keyed archive 
cannot be decoded by NSKeyedUnarchiver" UserInfo={NSDebugDescription=*** 
-[NSKeyedUnarchiver 
_initForReadingFromData:error:throwLegacyExceptions:]: non-keyed archive 
cannot be decoded by NSKeyedUnarchiver}
2018-10-24 12:08:28.515 emacs[627:15311] WARNING: NSWindow drag regions 
should only be invalidated on the Main Thread! This will throw an 
exception in the future. Called from (
     0   AppKit                              0x00007fff334132e3 
-[NSWindow(NSWindow_Theme) 
_postWindowNeedsToResetDragMarginsUnlessPostingDisabled] + 386
     1   AppKit                              0x00007fff33435422 
-[NSThemeFrame _tileTitlebarAndRedisplay:] + 98
     2   AppKit                              0x00007fff334604dd 
-[NSTitledFrame _titleDidChange] + 217
     3   AppKit                              0x00007fff3345ff89 
-[NSTitledFrame setTitle:] + 730
     4   AppKit                              0x00007fff3345fc00 
-[NSThemeFrame setTitle:] + 50
     5   AppKit                              0x00007fff33423082 
-[NSWindow _dosetTitle:andDefeatWrap:] + 211
     6   emacs                               0x00000001001e7371 
ns_set_name_internal + 161
     7   emacs                               0x000000010004f640 
x_consider_frame_title + 784
     8   emacs                               0x0000000100028ad5 
redisplay_internal + 2949
     9   emacs                               0x00000001000d1e71 
read_char + 2097
     10  emacs                               0x00000001000cfc1d 
read_key_sequence + 1997
     11  emacs                               0x00000001000ce30c 
command_loop_1 + 1228
     12  emacs                               0x000000010014d103 
internal_condition_case + 259
     13  emacs                               0x00000001000dd400 
command_loop_2 + 48
     14  emacs                               0x000000010014c727 
internal_catch + 263
     15  emacs                               0x00000001000cd338 
command_loop + 200
     16  emacs                               0x00000001000cd220 
recursive_edit_1 + 112
     17  emacs                               0x00000001000fbc33 
read_minibuf + 2179
     18  emacs                               0x00000001000fc0ca 
Fread_string + 250
     19  emacs                               0x000000010014f831 
funcall_subr + 353
     20  emacs                               0x000000010014ebc8 Ffuncall 
+ 792
     21  emacs                               0x000000010018ebf6 
exec_byte_code + 1814
     22  emacs                               0x000000010014eb2a Ffuncall 
+ 634
     23  emacs                               0x000000010018ebf6 
exec_byte_code + 1814
     24  emacs                               0x000000010014eb2a Ffuncall 
+ 634
     25  emacs                               0x000000010018ebf6 
exec_byte_code + 1814
     26  emacs                               0x000000010014eb2a Ffuncall 
+ 634
     27  emacs                               0x000000010018ebf6 
exec_byte_code + 1814
     28  emacs                               0x000000010014eb2a Ffuncall 
+ 634
     29  emacs                               0x000000010018ebf6 
exec_byte_code + 1814
     30  emacs                               0x000000010014eb2a Ffuncall 
+ 634
     31  emacs                               0x000000010018ebf6 
exec_byte_code + 1814
     32  emacs                               0x000000010014eb2a Ffuncall 
+ 634
     33  emacs                               0x000000010018ebf6 
exec_byte_code + 1814
     34  emacs                               0x000000010014eb2a Ffuncall 
+ 634
     35  emacs                               0x000000010018ebf6 
exec_byte_code + 1814
     36  emacs                               0x000000010014eb2a Ffuncall 
+ 634
     37  emacs                               0x000000010014ebc8 Ffuncall 
+ 792
     38  emacs                               0x000000010018ebf6 
exec_byte_code + 1814
     39  emacs                               0x000000010014eb2a Ffuncall 
+ 634
     40  emacs                               0x000000010014ebc8 Ffuncall 
+ 792
     41  emacs                               0x000000010018ebf6 
exec_byte_code + 1814
     42  emacs                               0x000000010014eb2a Ffuncall 
+ 634
     43  emacs                               0x000000010014ebc8 Ffuncall 
+ 792
     44  emacs                               0x000000010018ebf6 
exec_byte_code + 1814
     45  emacs                               0x000000010014eb2a Ffuncall 
+ 634
     46  emacs                               0x000000010014b270 call2 + 48
     47  emacs                               0x000000010014f7e7 
funcall_subr + 279
     48  emacs                               0x000000010014ebc8 Ffuncall 
+ 792
     49  emacs                               0x000000010018ebf6 
exec_byte_code + 1814
     50  emacs                               0x000000010014eb2a Ffuncall 
+ 634
     51  emacs                               0x000000010018ebf6 
exec_byte_code + 1814
     52  emacs                               0x000000010014eb2a Ffuncall 
+ 634
     53  emacs                               0x000000010014e740 Fapply + 512
     54  emacs                               0x000000010014ebc8 Ffuncall 
+ 792
     55  emacs                               0x000000010018ebf6 
exec_byte_code + 1814
     56  emacs                               0x000000010014eb2a Ffuncall 
+ 634
     57  emacs                               0x000000010014e740 Fapply + 512
     58  emacs                               0x000000010014ebc8 Ffuncall 
+ 792
     59  emacs                               0x000000010018ebf6 
exec_byte_code + 1814
     60  emacs                               0x000000010014eb2a Ffuncall 
+ 634
     61  emacs                               0x000000010014e740 Fapply + 512
     62  emacs                               0x000000010014ebc8 Ffuncall 
+ 792
     63  emacs                               0x000000010018ebf6 
exec_byte_code + 1814
     64  emacs                               0x000000010014eb2a Ffuncall 
+ 634
     65  emacs                               0x000000010014f53c call5 + 60
     66  emacs                               0x000000010014a921 eval_sub 
+ 2049
     67  emacs                               0x000000010014bc8f Flet + 463
     68  emacs                               0x000000010014a723 eval_sub 
+ 1539
     69  emacs                               0x000000010014fc1d 
funcall_lambda + 813
     70  emacs                               0x000000010014eb2a Ffuncall 
+ 634
     71  emacs                               0x00000001001b69c5 
invoke_thread_function + 53
     72  emacs                               0x000000010014d103 
internal_condition_case + 259
     73  emacs                               0x00000001001b624a 
run_thread + 138
     74  libsystem_pthread.dylib             0x00007fff6316d33d 
_pthread_body + 126
     75  libsystem_pthread.dylib             0x00007fff631702a7 
_pthread_start + 70
     76  libsystem_pthread.dylib             0x00007fff6316c425 
thread_start + 13
)

In GNU Emacs 27.0.50 (build 3, x86_64-apple-darwin17.6.0, NS 
appkit-1561.40 Version 10.13.5 (Build 17F77))
  of 2018-06-30 built on Christians-MacBook-Air.local
Repository revision: ed65ea18152636500399a7b6b75c87bac7d4ef2b
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.1671
System Description:  Mac OS X 10.14

Recent messages:
Source file 
‘/Users/christianjohansson/Documents/emacs/lisp/mail/sendmail.el’ newer 
than byte-compiled file
Source file 
‘/Users/christianjohansson/Documents/emacs/lisp/gnus/message.el’ newer 
than byte-compiled file
Source file 
‘/Users/christianjohansson/Documents/emacs/lisp/mail/mailabbrev.el’ 
newer than byte-compiled file
Source file 
‘/Users/christianjohansson/Documents/emacs/lisp/gnus/gnus-util.el’ newer 
than byte-compiled file
Source file 
‘/Users/christianjohansson/Documents/emacs/lisp/mail/rmail.el’ newer 
than byte-compiled file
Source file ‘/Users/christianjohansson/Documents/emacs/lisp/epg.el’ 
newer than byte-compiled file
Source file 
‘/Users/christianjohansson/Documents/emacs/lisp/epg-config.el’ newer 
than byte-compiled file
Source file ‘/Users/christianjohansson/Documents/emacs/lisp/dired.el’ 
newer than byte-compiled file
Source file 
‘/Users/christianjohansson/Documents/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/bytecomp.el’ 
newer than byte-compiled file
Source file 
‘/Users/christianjohansson/Documents/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/byte-opt.el’ 
newer than byte-compiled file

Configured features:
RSVG IMAGEMAGICK DBUS NOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS
NS THREADS

Important settings:
   value of $LC_CTYPE: UTF-8
   value of $LANG: en_SE.UTF-8
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
   tooltip-mode: t
   global-eldoc-mode: t
   eldoc-mode: t
   electric-indent-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   tool-bar-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny seq byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile cconv dired dired-loaddefs format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg epg-config gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils help-mode easymenu cl-loaddefs cl-lib
apropos elec-pair time-date tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/ns-win ns-win ucs-normalize
mule-util term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook
help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote dbusbind kqueue cocoa ns multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 206501 10044)
  (symbols 48 20198 2)
  (miscs 40 35 169)
  (strings 32 29396 1914)
  (string-bytes 1 776758)
  (vectors 16 35414)
  (vector-slots 8 727972 11800)
  (floats 8 48 68)
  (intervals 56 372 0)
  (buffers 992 13))