Subject: bug#33135: 27.0.50; (make-thread) TRAMP interactive freeze macOS 10.14

From: Christian Johansson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2018 07:03:10 +0100

Hi Michael

I haven't experienced a single crash since I started using your threaded 
tramp branch but I sometimes get errors like this, but it doesn't make 
Emacs crash, I can just retry same operation and it will work. It seems 
like sometimes a thread is busy and Emacs tries to access it in some way 
and this error occurs, I have replaced sensitive information with --- below

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Attempt to accept output from 
process *ftp ---...")
   accept-process-output(#<process *ftp ---@---*>)
   ange-ftp-wait-not-busy(#<process *ftp ---@---*>)
   ange-ftp-raw-send-cmd(#<process *ftp ---@---*> "type ascii" nil 
(#f(compiled-function (result line host user cmd msg cont nowait) 
#<bytecode 0x4ffee879>) "---" "---" "type ascii" nil nil nil) nil)

I haven't tried threaded tramp that requires user-interaction yet though 
since I got ~/.authinfo.gpg working with ange-ftp, I'll see if I can 
test that this week

Regards
Christian

On 2018-10-25 10:35, Michael Albinus wrote:
> Christian Johansson <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Hi Michael
> Hi Christian,
>
>> Alright, I'll check out that branch and continue testing
>> here. Asynchronous TRAMP via FTP/SSH without user-interaction seems to
>> work on master branch most of the time
> The simple case: yes. It will be more interesting if you visit several
> (many!) files in parallel. My usual test case is "C-x & C-x C-f
> /ssh::~/src/emacs-test/admin/*.el" ("~/src/emacs" is the location of the
> Emacs repository on my machine).
>
> You might also open a second frame in parallel, and run "M-x list-threads"
> there. This will show you how threads evolve.
>
> If you want to know more about asynchronous file visiting, you might
> consult (info "(emacs) Visiting") in the feature/tramp-thread-safe branch.
>
>> but I have experienced some occasional crashes that you don't get when
>> running synchronously. Will start Emacs from my terminal to see if I
>> get any errors there if it crashes
> Yes, pls report.
>
>> Regards
>> Christian
> Best regards, Michael.