Subject: 27.0.50; Add error-handling for comint-strip-ctrl-m

From: Live System User <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2018 22:51:46 -0400

Hi,

        Please consider adding additional error-handling for
        `comint-strip-ctrl-m'.

        Amongst other things, I set the following hook:

(add-hook 'comint-output-filter-functions 'comint-strip-ctrl-m)

        In my setup (i.e. NOT emacs -Q) I get the following
        error when exiting a *shell* process:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument processp nil)
  process-mark(nil)
  comint-strip-ctrl-m("")
  run-hook-with-args(comint-strip-ctrl-m "")
  comint-send-input()
  funcall-interactively(comint-send-input)
  call-interactively(comint-send-input nil nil)
  command-execute(comint-send-input)

        Thanks.

In GNU Emacs 27.0.50 (build 46, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.20.10)
 of 2018-10-14 built on localhost.localdomain
Repository revision: 6b8fd34c4ab1aa23b180440cdc8210900896bbf4
Windowing system distributor 'Fedora Project', version 11.0.11803000
System Description: Fedora 24 (Workstation Edition)

Recent messages:
nnimap read 134k from imap.aim.com
nnimap read 172k from imap.aim.com
nnimap read 210k from imap.aim.com
nnimap read 236k from imap.aim.com
nnimap read 283k from imap.aim.com
Fetching headers for nnimap+aol:Inbox...done
Scoring...done
Sorting threads...done
Generating summary...done
mwheel-scroll: Beginning of buffer [5 times]

Configured using:
 'configure 'CFLAGS=-DMAIL_USE_LOCKF -O0 -ggdb3 -pipe -Wall
 -Werror=format-security -fexceptions -fstack-protector-strong
 --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -grecord-gcc-switches -m64 -mtune=generic'
 LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro
 --prefix=/tmp/n/emacs-27.0-git-master
 --with-dbus --with-gif --with-jpeg --with-png --with-rsvg --with-lcms2
 --with-tiff --with-xft --with-xpm --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-gpm=yes
 --with-xwidgets --with-modules --with-json'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GPM DBUS GSETTINGS GLIB
NOTIFY ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 XDBE XIM MODULES THREADS XWIDGETS JSON
LCMS2 GMP

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Summary

Minor modes in effect:
  gnus-desktop-notify-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug sendmail qp gnus-ml disp-table pp
cursor-sensor nndraft nnmh nndoc mm-archive timezone url-http url-gw
url-cache url-auth url-handlers utf-7 rfc2104 nnfolder cl-extra
help-mode gnutls network-stream nsm gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score
score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg gnus-cache gnus-demon nntp
gnus-desktop-notify easy-mmode notifications dbus xml epa-file nnreddit
mm-url url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history
url-cookie url-domsuf url-util url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio
eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs url-vars json map gnus-art mm-uu
mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime dig mailcap cl sieve sieve-mode
sieve-manage sasl sasl-anonymous sasl-login sasl-plain advice nnir
gnus-sum gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail
mail-source utf7 netrc parse-time gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message
rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs format-spec rfc822 mml easymenu mml-sec
password-cache epa derived epg epg-config mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win gnus seq
byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv wid-edit cl-loaddefs cl-lib nnoo
nnheader gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
time-date mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils misearch multi-isearch elec-pair
mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar
dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer
cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind
inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
xwidget-internal move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 327067 34630)
 (symbols 48 126896 2)
 (strings 32 119604 5016)
 (string-bytes 1 4126015)
 (vectors 16 28255)
 (vector-slots 8 958168 70958)
 (floats 8 211 451)
 (intervals 56 8197 0)
 (buffers 992 33)
 (heap 1024 60642 35383))