Subject: bug#33114: closed (Re: bug#33114: 25.2; Emacs hangs on closing a perenthesis in a regexp in cperl mode)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2018 15:00:02 +0000

Your bug report

#33114: 25.2; Emacs hangs on closing a parenthesis in a regexp in cperl mode

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
33114: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=33114
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#33114: 25.2; Emacs hangs on closing a perenthesis in a regexp in cperl mode
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Vincent Lefevre <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2018 17:59:10 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2018 13:21:17 +0200
> From: Vincent Lefevre <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> > > 1. Open it with "emacs -Q".
> > > 2. Put the cursor just after the opening parenthesis.
> > > 3. Type ')' (closing parenthesis).
> > > 
> > > This makes Emacs hang. A C-g alone has no effect. Several C-g in a row
> > > may give the control back to the user.
> > 
> > Does the patch below produce good results?  (I don't use CPerl mode,
> > so I don't know if the highlighting after the change is correct.)
> 
> Thanks, this solves the hang problem, and the highlighting still
> seems to be correct.

Thanks, pushed to the emacs-26 branch.

> Note that there is still a bug: I get an error
> 
>   End of ‘s/ ... // ... /’ string/RE not found: (scan-error Unbalanced parentheses 26 29)
> 
> but I already got this error without the patch under conditions

Yes, I think this is a separate issue.

Subject: 25.2; Emacs hangs on closing a perenthesis in a regexp in cperl mode
From: Vincent Lefevre <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2018 02:37:49 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Consider the following file:

# -*- mode: cperl -*-
s/./(/e;

1. Open it with "emacs -Q".
2. Put the cursor just after the opening parenthesis.
3. Type ')' (closing parenthesis).

This makes Emacs hang. A C-g alone has no effect. Several C-g in a row
may give the control back to the user.

Tested under Debian/unstable.

In GNU Emacs 25.2.2 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.30)
 of 2018-07-11, modified by Debian built on x86-ubc-01
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12001000
System Description:	Debian GNU/Linux stable-updates (sid)

Configured using:
 'configure --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var/lib --infodir=/usr/share/info
 --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs25:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/25.2/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/25.2/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --with-sound=alsa --without-gconf --build x86_64-linux-gnu
 --prefix=/usr --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var/lib --infodir=/usr/share/info
 --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs25:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/25.2/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/25.2/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --with-sound=alsa --without-gconf --with-x=yes --with-x-toolkit=gtk3
 --with-toolkit-scroll-bars 'CFLAGS=-g -O2
 -fdebug-prefix-map=/build/emacs25-cfFROJ/emacs25-25.2+1=.
 -fstack-protector-strong -Wformat -Werror=format-security -Wall'
 'CPPFLAGS=-Wdate-time -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2' LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GPM DBUS GSETTINGS NOTIFY
ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11

Important settings:
  value of $LC_COLLATE: POSIX
  value of $LC_CTYPE: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LC_TIME: en_DK
  value of $LANG: POSIX
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  display-time-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
Loading cjk-enc...done
Loading /etc/emacs/site-start.d/50latex-cjk-common.el (source)...done
Loading /etc/emacs/site-start.d/50latex-cjk-thai.el (source)...done
Loading /etc/emacs/site-start.d/50psvn.el (source)...done
Loading /etc/emacs/site-start.d/50python-docutils.el (source)...done
Loading /etc/emacs/site-start.d/50texlive-lang-english.el (source)...done
Loading /etc/emacs/site-start.d/50why3.el (source)...done
Loading /home/vinc17/share/emacs/site-lisp/mutteditor.el (source)...done
Loading time...done
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Load-path shadows:
/usr/share/emacs/25.2/site-lisp/why3 hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/why3
/usr/share/emacs/25.2/site-lisp/debian-startup hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/debian-startup
/usr/share/emacs25/site-lisp/cmake-data/cmake-mode hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/cmake-mode
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/rst hides /usr/share/emacs/25.2/lisp/textmodes/rst
/usr/share/emacs25/site-lisp/latex-cjk-thai/thai-word hides /usr/share/emacs/25.2/lisp/language/thai-word

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr warnings emacsbug message dired format-spec
rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epg epg-config gnus-util mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util help-fns help-mode easymenu
mail-prsvr mail-utils time cus-start cus-load paren cc-styles cc-align
cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs edmacro kmacro cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib
time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset
image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cl-generic cham
georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese charscript case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x
multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 107238 7863)
 (symbols 48 22452 0)
 (miscs 40 54 113)
 (strings 32 20694 3424)
 (string-bytes 1 601857)
 (vectors 16 12880)
 (vector-slots 8 443130 2641)
 (floats 8 171 162)
 (intervals 56 266 0)
 (buffers 976 18))