Subject: [PATCH 0/3] Have the binary tarball populate ~root/.config/guix/current

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2018 22:45:06 +0200

Hello Guix!

Currently the binary tarball populates ~root/.guix-profile.  This creates
confusion when people realize that ‘guix pull’, instead, updates
~root/.config/guix; it’s also inconvenient because it forces root to do
“guix pull && guix package -u guix” or similar if they want to update
the default Guix revision on the distro.

These patches address this by having the binary tarball populate
~root/.config/guix/current like ‘guix pull’ does.

There’s one downside though: with the last patch, the ‘glibc-utf8-locales’
is no longer included because ~root/.config/guix/current would be the
wrong place for it.  Consequently, users have to explicitly install it
in ~root/.guix-profile and set GUIX_LOCPATH accordingly.

A possible fix would be to modify ‘guix pack’ so that it can create not
just two profiles, where ~root/.guix-profile would contain
‘glibc-utf8-locales’.  That’d be a non-trivial change, though.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Ludo’.

Ludovic Courtès (3):
  install: Parameterize the profile name for
    'populate-single-profile-directory'.
  pack: Add '--profile-name'.
  build: Binary tarball now populates the "current-guix" profile.

 Makefile.am                 |  6 ++----
 doc/guix.texi               | 37 +++++++++++++++++++++++--------------
 etc/guix-daemon.conf.in     |  2 +-
 etc/guix-daemon.service.in  |  4 ++--
 etc/guix-install.sh         | 21 +++++++++++----------
 etc/guix-publish.conf.in    |  2 +-
 etc/guix-publish.service.in |  4 ++--
 gnu/build/install.scm       | 24 ++++++++++++++++++------
 guix/scripts/pack.scm       | 20 +++++++++++++++++++-
 tests/guix-pack.sh          | 17 +++++++++++++++--
 10 files changed, 94 insertions(+), 43 deletions(-)

-- 
2.19.1