Subject: 26.1; Emacs Calc Problem with sec and related trig functions

From: Pierce Wang <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2018 12:04:08 -0700

Trying to evaluate "sec(pi/4)" in Calc's algebraic mode returns a "Wrong
type argument" instead of returning "sec( pi / 4 )" in the Calc as it
should. This bug is replicated with any number n (for sec(pi/n)) where n !=
1.

Recipe from emacs -Q:
C-x * *
m r
'sec(pi/4)

Thank you for all your hard work!

In GNU Emacs 26.1 (build 1, x86_64-apple-darwin17.2.0, NS appkit-1561.10
Version 10.13.1 (Build 17B1003))
of 2018-09-22 built on Pierces-MacBook-Air.local
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.1561
Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
C-x *  (Type ? for a list of Calc options)
Loading /Users/piercewang/.emacs.d/calc.el (source)...done
Welcome to the GNU Emacs Calculator!  Press ‘?’ or ‘h’ for help, ‘q’ to quit
m-
Angles measured in radians
calc-do: Wrong type argument: number-or-marker-p, nil
Configured using:
'configure --disable-dependency-tracking --disable-silent-rules
--enable-locallisppath=/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp
--infodir=/usr/local/Cellar/emacs/26.1_1/share/info/emacs
--prefix=/usr/local/Cellar/emacs/26.1_1 --with-gnutls --without-x
--with-xml2 --without-dbus --without-imagemagick --with-ns
--disable-ns-self-contained'

Configured features:
JPEG NOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS NS THREADS

Important settings:
  value of $LC_CTYPE: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Calculator

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny seq byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib dired dired-loaddefs
format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg epg-config
gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse
rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils calc-frac calc-arith calc-alg
calc-aent calc-math calc-ext calc-misc calc-menu easymenu calc
calc-loaddefs calc-macs elec-pair time-date tooltip eldoc electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/ns-win ns-win
ucs-normalize mule-util term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode
lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook
help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote kqueue cocoa ns multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 237129 9349)
(symbols 48 23211 1)
(miscs 40 53 193)
(strings 32 35244 1615)
(string-bytes 1 925272)
(vectors 16 37144)
(vector-slots 8 740188 18066)
(floats 8 54 240)
(intervals 56 232 0)
(buffers 992 13))