Subject: Re: bug#33050: 27.0.50; [macOS] Problem with process input with process-connection-type nil

From: Filipp Gunbin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2018 02:12:21 +0300

Thomas,

On 26/10/2018 11:41 -0400, Thomas Fitzsimmons wrote:

> One worry I have about always leaving process-connection-type t is
> that, depending on the external system state -- specifically whether
> or not all ptys are busy -- process-connection-type might not have any
> effect, and the underlying process will rarely (and silently AFAICT)
> operate in pipe mode.  By forcing process-connection-type nil, one is
> always testing in the same known mode.

I don't really understand why pty mode is better here than pipe mode.
Do we need job control, or escape sequences, or anything else specific
to pty?  If we use pty, won't these features, on the contrary, get in
the way somewhere?  We have to respond to only one prompt from
ldapsearch, and for that pipes should work well.  It's not like when the
user is interacting with the process (like in shell mode).  The user may
be unaware that external process is at all invoked.

Your suggestion to condionally fix this for Darwin on release looks
good.

As for 33154, I'll live with it for some more days, and wait for more
people to look at it.  And if all goes well, then I'll push it next
week.

Thanks.
Filipp