Subject: bug#33050: 27.0.50; [macOS] Problem with process input with process-connection-type nil

From: Thomas Fitzsimmons <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2018 18:07:08 -0400

Hi Filipp,

Filipp Gunbin <[email-masked]> writes:

> Thomas, what does (process-attributes (process-id proc)) output for you?
> (say, right after the process creation).
>
> The fact that the process is stopped by OS (in my case) makes me think
> that the process is indeed trying to use tty in p-c-t nil case.  So it
> could be bug in process creation.

p-c-t t

((args . /usr/bin/ldapsearch -W) (pmem . 0.006538857941754344) (pcpu
. -0.0e+NaN) (etime 0 0 0 0) (rss . 1596) (vsize . 42680) (start 23504
58749 447508 202000) (thcount . 1) (nice . 0) (pri . 20) (ctime 0 0 0 0)
(cstime 0 0 0 0) (cutime 0 0 0 0) (time 0 0 0 0) (stime 0 0 0 0) (utime
0 0 0 0) (cmajflt . 0) (cminflt . 0) (majflt . 0) (minflt . 485) (tpgid
. [...]) (ttname . /dev/pts54) (sess . 29274) (pgrp . 29274) (ppid
. 29075) (state . S) (comm . ldapsearch) (group . [...]) (egid . [...])
(user . [...]) (euid . [...]))

p-c-t nil

((args . /usr/bin/ldapsearch -W) (pmem . 0.006538857941754344) (pcpu
. 0.0) (etime 0 1 10000 0) (rss . 1596) (vsize . 42684) (start 23504
58688 70097 688000) (thcount . 1) (nice . 0) (pri . 20) (ctime 0 0 0 0)
(cstime 0 0 0 0) (cutime 0 0 0 0) (time 0 0 0 0) (stime 0 0 0 0) (utime
0 0 0 0) (cmajflt . 0) (cminflt . 0) (majflt . 0) (minflt . 483) (tpgid
. [...]) (ttname . ) (sess . 29201) (pgrp . 29201) (ppid . 29075) (state
. S) (comm . ldapsearch) (group . [...]) (egid . [...]) (user . [...])
(euid . [...]))

I had been testing on Emacs 26.1, but noticed the difference:

(tty . ...) vs (ttname . ...)

and so retested on master tip to see if the Emacs version accounted for
that, but I get the same result.  "tty" isn't listed as a key in
src/process.c, so I'm don't know where it's coming from on Darwin.
However, ttname's value on my system does correspond to the
process-connection-type setting.

Thomas