Subject: Re: bug#33050: 27.0.50; [macOS] Problem with process input with process-connection-type nil

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2018 17:53:35 +0300

> From: Thomas Fitzsimmons <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked],  [email-masked]
> Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2018 09:42:17 -0400
> 
> > I've updated the documentation, please see if the new text makes
> > sense.
> 
> Yes, though I might still read that and choose a pipe for ldapsearch.
> How about adding this sentence:
> 
> [...] these features.  A Lisp program should prefer a pty when
> interacting with a subprocess that prompts the user for information
> (e.g., a password) because that feature of the subprocess was probably
> developed and tested assuming a pty.  However, for subprocesses used by
> Lisp programs [...]

Wouldn't this just reiterate what the text already says?

						      [...]  However, for
  subprocesses used by Lisp programs for internal purposes (i.e., with no
  user interaction), where significant amounts of data need to be
  exchanged between the subprocess and the Lisp program, it is often
  better to use a pipe, because pipes are more efficient, and because they
  are immune to stray character injections that ptys introduce for large
  (around 500 byte) messages. [...]

This explicitly says that pipes are preferable when NO user
interaction is done, especially when large amounts of data are to be
exchanged with Emacs.  I don't think that asking for a password is a
special case in this context.