Subject: 27.0.50; Uncompiled .el files after make -- intentional?

From: Live System User <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2018 13:41:31 -0400

Hi,

        Recently, I noticed after a git pull and make, some
        files are now not being byte-compiled

-rw-rw-r--.  1 liveuser liveuser 181985 Oct 13 22:54 tramp.el
-rw-rw-r--.  1 liveuser liveuser 217141 Oct  9 14:55  tramp.elc

-rwxrwxr-x. 3 liveuser liveuser 18233704 Oct 14 23:57 src/emacs

       The only commonality I can discern is that .el files prior to
       that date and time (Oct 13 22:54) are byte-compiled.

       Here's the message I saw after doing a `make', starting
       a new Emacs sessiom and C-x C-f /ssh:/localhost:/test.txt

Source file ‘/tmp/emacs-27.0-git-master/lisp/net/tramp.el’ newer than byte-compiled file

       So what triggers a byte-compilation when doing a `make'?

       What caused tramp.el to not be recompiled after a
       subsequent `make'?

       (I normally do a `make TAGS' if that matters, FWIW).
       
       Thanks.

In GNU Emacs 27.0.50 (build 46, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.20.10)
 of 2018-10-14 built on localhost.localdomain
Repository revision: 6b8fd34c4ab1aa23b180440cdc8210900896bbf4
Windowing system distributor 'Fedora Project', version 11.0.11803000
System Description: Fedora 24 (Workstation Edition)

Recent messages:
nnimap read 151k from imap.aim.com
nnimap read 197k from imap.aim.com
nnimap read 215k from imap.aim.com
nnimap read 244k from imap.aim.com
nnimap read 283k from imap.aim.com
Fetching headers for nnimap+aol:Inbox...done
Scoring...done
Sorting threads...done
Generating summary...done
Auto-saving...

Configured using:
 'configure 'CFLAGS=-DMAIL_USE_LOCKF -O0 -ggdb3 -pipe -Wall
 -Werror=format-security -fexceptions -fstack-protector-strong
 --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -grecord-gcc-switches -m64 -mtune=generic'
 LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro
 --prefix=/tmp/emacs-27.0-git-master
 --with-dbus --with-gif --with-jpeg --with-png --with-rsvg --with-lcms2
 --with-tiff --with-xft --with-xpm --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-gpm=yes
 --with-xwidgets --with-modules'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GPM DBUS GSETTINGS GLIB
NOTIFY ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 XDBE XIM MODULES THREADS XWIDGETS JSON
LCMS2 GMP

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Summary

Minor modes in effect:
  gnus-desktop-notify-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug sendmail qp gnus-ml disp-table
cursor-sensor nndraft nnmh nndoc mm-archive timezone url-http url-gw
url-cache url-auth url-handlers utf-7 rfc2104 nnfolder cl-extra
help-mode gnutls network-stream nsm gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score
score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg gnus-cache gnus-demon nntp
gnus-desktop-notify easy-mmode notifications dbus xml epa-file nnreddit
mm-url url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history
url-cookie url-domsuf url-util url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio
eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs url-vars json map gnus-art mm-uu
mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime dig mailcap cl sieve sieve-mode
sieve-manage sasl sasl-anonymous sasl-login sasl-plain advice nnir
gnus-sum gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail
mail-source utf7 netrc parse-time gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message
rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs format-spec rfc822 mml easymenu mml-sec
password-cache epa derived epg epg-config mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win gnus seq
byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv wid-edit cl-loaddefs cl-lib nnoo
nnheader gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
time-date mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils misearch multi-isearch elec-pair
mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar
dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer
cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind
inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
xwidget-internal move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 325971 32676)
 (symbols 48 126858 1)
 (strings 32 119555 6646)
 (string-bytes 1 4139875)
 (vectors 16 29454)
 (vector-slots 8 967976 68438)
 (floats 8 212 497)
 (intervals 56 8171 54)
 (buffers 992 34)
 (heap 1024 64830 26459))