Subject: [bug#33038] [PATCH 6/6] doc: Update Preparing to Use the Bootstrap Binaries.

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2018 10:23:21 +0200

Ludovic Courtès writes:

> Jan Nieuwenhuizen <[email-masked]> skribis:
>
>> * doc/guix.texi (Preparing to Use the Bootstrap Binaries): Mention
>> bootstrap-mes alongside bootstrap-gcc.
>> (Reducing the Set of Bootstrap Binaries): Mention the Reduced Binary Seed
>> bootstrap, MesCC-Tools and Mes.
>
> LGTM!
>
>> +Our first major achievement is the replacement of of GCC, the GNU C Library
>> +and Binutils by MesCC-Tools (a simple hex linker and macro assembler) and Mes
>> +(a Scheme interpreter and a C99 compiler in Scheme).  Neither MesCC-Tools nor
>> +Mes can be fully bootstrapped yet and thus we inject them as binary seeds.  We
>> +call this the Reduced Binary Seed bootstrap, as it has halved the size of our
>> +bootstrap binaries!  Also, it has eliminated the C compiler binary; i686-linux
>> +and x86_64-linux GuixSD are now bootstrapped without any binary C compiler.
>
> s/GuixSD/Guix packages/
> Perhaps add an @pxref for Mes?

Ah, sure.  Changed to

+Our first major achievement is the replacement of of GCC, the GNU C Library
+and Binutils by MesCC-Tools (a simple hex linker and macro assembler) and Mes
+(@pxref{Top, GNU Mes Reference Manual,, mes, GNU Mes}, a Scheme interpreter
+and C compiler in Scheme).  Neither MesCC-Tools nor Mes can be fully
+bootstrapped yet and thus we inject them as binary seeds.  We call this the
+Reduced Binary Seed bootstrap, as it has halved the size of our bootstrap
+binaries!  Also, it has eliminated the C compiler binary; i686-linux and
+x86_64-linux Guix packages are now bootstrapped without any binary C compiler.

Updated on gitlab/core-updates-next, "waiting" for the builds to say OK :-)

>> +Work is ongoing to make MesCC-Tools and Mes fully bootstrappable and we are
>> +also looking at any other bootstrap binaries.  Your help is welcome!
>
> I still can’t believe this is a reality, awesome!!  :-)

Thank you, yes -- what a long road from the initial Mes announcement!  Thanks
to  all the help from #bootstrappable and from yourself.

And this is only the beginning... :-)

janneke