Subject: [bug#33038] [PATCH 6/6] doc: Update Preparing to Use the Bootstrap Binaries.

From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2018 23:37:27 +0200

Jan Nieuwenhuizen <[email-masked]> skribis:

> * doc/guix.texi (Preparing to Use the Bootstrap Binaries): Mention
> bootstrap-mes alongside bootstrap-gcc.
> (Reducing the Set of Bootstrap Binaries): Mention the Reduced Binary Seed
> bootstrap, MesCC-Tools and Mes.

LGTM!

> +Our first major achievement is the replacement of of GCC, the GNU C Library
> +and Binutils by MesCC-Tools (a simple hex linker and macro assembler) and Mes
> +(a Scheme interpreter and a C99 compiler in Scheme).  Neither MesCC-Tools nor
> +Mes can be fully bootstrapped yet and thus we inject them as binary seeds.  We
> +call this the Reduced Binary Seed bootstrap, as it has halved the size of our
> +bootstrap binaries!  Also, it has eliminated the C compiler binary; i686-linux
> +and x86_64-linux GuixSD are now bootstrapped without any binary C compiler.

s/GuixSD/Guix packages/
Perhaps add an @pxref for Mes?

> +Work is ongoing to make MesCC-Tools and Mes fully bootstrappable and we are
> +also looking at any other bootstrap binaries.  Your help is welcome!

I still can’t believe this is a reality, awesome!!  :-)

Ludo’.