Subject: bug#33033: 27.0.50; [wishlist] Registers for non-file buffers

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2019 17:38:27 +0200

Helmut Eller <[email-masked]> writes:

> 1.) It would be nice if the register machinery could also be used for
> switching to buffers that aren't connected to a file but have
> more-or-less fixed names like *shell*, *Backtrace*, or *scratch*.
>
> E.g. (set-register ?s '(buffer "*scratch*")) could set up things so that
> C-x r j s would switch to the *scratch* buffer.

Can you use registers today to jump to buffers that are connected to
files?  I'm wondering why you're singling out non-file buffers here...

But in general, it seems to me that these keystrokes aren't that much
more efficient than just C-x b scr RET or something.

> 2.) Similarly, it would be useful to have a way to switch to a buffer
> based on the buffer's mode.
>
> E.g. (set-register ?l '(mode emacs-lisp)) could switch to the last
> recently used buffer in emacs-lisp mode.

Hm...  I don't quite see the utility here.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no