Subject: Re: bug#33033: 27.0.50; [wishlist] Registers for non-file buffers

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2019 17:14:16 +0200

Helmut Eller <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Helmut Eller <[email-masked]> writes:
>>
>>> 1.) It would be nice if the register machinery could also be used for
>>> switching to buffers that aren't connected to a file but have
>>> more-or-less fixed names like *shell*, *Backtrace*, or *scratch*.
>>>
>>> E.g. (set-register ?s '(buffer "*scratch*")) could set up things so that
>>> C-x r j s would switch to the *scratch* buffer.
>>
>> Can you use registers today to jump to buffers that are connected to
>> files?  I'm wondering why you're singling out non-file buffers here...
>
> Yes, I have (set-register ?e '(file . "~/.emacs")) in .emacs.

Ah, I see.  Yes, then it makes sense to add a `buffer' form, too, I
think?

Does anybody object to this?  It seems about as useful as the `file'
form...  And looking at the implementation in register.el, it looks
pretty trivial to add.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no