Subject: bug#3303: delete-frame raises old (invisible) frame

From: David Reitter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 23:15:14 -0400

On May 18, 2009, at 11:09 PM, Stefan Monnier wrote:

>> i.e. we end up with a visible frame, the frame that we hid initially.
>
> As mentioned, part of the reason is that raise-frame incorrectly makes
> the frame visible.
>
> Admittedly, the correctness is debatable, since the docstring says "If
> frame is iconified, make it visible" whereas the Elisp manual says "If
> FRAME is invisible or iconified, this makes it visible".  So the  
> code is
> correct w.r.t the Elisp manual but not the docstring.  I actually
> believe the docstring describes the behavior we want.

What I described happens with your path installed just the same, so it  
is really only part of the problem.

One issue I can see there in NS is that NS hides frames by moving them  
behind the desktop in the view hierarchy, so raising them implies  
making them visible.  Of course we could (and should) add a check for  
frame visibility to the appropriate NS functions.

As far as I remember, raising implied making a frame visible in Emacs  
22/Carbon.

I'm not sure if a change to the behavior of raise-frame would be a  
good idea at this stage; the bug at hand needs fixing of course.