Subject: bug#33024: 26.1.50; the ethiopic input method does not allow the insertion of a very frequent character

From: yilkal argaw <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2018 06:13:21 +0300

I tried to use emacs for typing in Amharic the largest language that currently
uses the Geez-script characters and some Geez to (the latin of
Ethiopia). The ethipic input method does not allow for the insertion of
አ character when pressing a . It rather inserts ኣ. The two letters
sound the same but they are used differently. አ is very frequent in
Amharic and Geez (I think it is one of the top 10 frequent
characters). ኣ on the other hand is less frequent and not often use.
Some language like Tigrigna and Tigre use the ኣ character more often
than Amharic but the frequency of አ in those languages is very high
too. Being forced to insert አ in its unicode number renders the
ethiopic input method unusable for regular operations any of the four
language. So this
behavoiour should be altered to allow insertion of both አ and ኣ
through variations in of the A key as:
a:(1/1) 1.አ
a2:(1/1) 1.ኣ
a3:(1/1) 1.ዓ
ae:(1/1) 1.ዐ
aaa:(1/1) 1.ዓ
aa:(1/1) 1.ዐ
aaaa(1/1) 1. ዓ