Subject: Re: bug#33019: 26.1; can not set fontset as frame font by set-frame-font

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2018 08:54:02 +0300

> From: [email-masked]
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2018 10:00:32 +0900
> 
> > I don't see why would you need to use more than fontset-default.  Just
> > customize it so that the CJK characters are displayed by Noto Sans CJK
> > JP, and make Noto Mono your default font.
> 
> When a font family is specified for some range of "fontset-default",
> :family specification of text face is ignored in the range.

So the problem is not the fontset but displaying faces defined using
:family, is that right?

> (insert (propertize "ABC" 'face '(:family "Noto Serif")))
> shows characters with "Noto Serif".
> 
> (progn (set-fontset-font "fontset-default" '(#x4E00 . #x9FFF)
>                          "Noto Sans CJK JP Regular")
>        (insert (propertize "\x4E00" 'face '(:family "Noto Serif CJK JP"))))
> shows the character with "Noto Sans CJK JP Regular",
> not "Noto Serif CJK JP".

Why do you define this range of characters to use Noto Sans if you
actually want to see it in Noto Serif?  And in any case, why do use
:family instead of specific font in the face definition?

> Perhaps defining "fontset-serif" and specify '(:fontset "fontset-serif")
> is required.

I have no idea.  This area is notoriously under-documented, so if you
insist on making new fontsets, you are on your own.  Sorry.