Subject: Re: bug#3301: 23.0.93; menu bar bug with gtk-qt engine (KDE)

From: Stephen Berman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2019 10:48:23 +0200

On Thu, 27 Jun 2019 03:41:10 +0200 Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Stephen Berman <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> On Sun, 6 Mar 2016 06:56:46 -0800 Jeff Trull <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>
>>> I cannot reproduce that issue under Emacs 24 or 25. Mouse-1 clicks in
>>> either the menu and toolbar in a part with no menu or icon appear to
>>> be simply ignored.
>>>
>>> I used ldd to confirm that the emacs binary uses Gtk3. I am using KDE
>>> 5.15 though, unlike the OP's 4.14.
>>
>> Thanks, that's useful information, perhaps the bug doesn't occur in KDE
>> 5.*.  I currently don't have access to that version, but will test it as
>> soon as I do.
>
> Hi Stephen,
>
> Did you ever get around to testing if this bug is still reproducible
> using KDE 5.*?

Thanks for reminding me about this.  I stopped regularly using the menu
bar in Emacs a while ago and also had not been using KDE for some time,
but recently started using it again (KDE Frameworks 5.59.0 in openSUSE),
and checking now (in current master) with the Emacs menu bar enabled, I
cannot reproduce the problem that clicking mouse-1 activates "move" mode
(and it remains active after releasing mouse-1), only holding down
mouse-1 does that.  So it seems this was only an issue with KDE 4*.  The
other issue mentioned in my followup to my OP, that in KDE applications
moving the mouse pointer over a menu bar item highlights it, even when
the application window is not in focus, whereas moving the mouse pointer
over an Emacs menu bar item does not highlight it, I still see but it's
a minor cosmestic blemish, so as far as I'm concerned this bug can be
closed.

Steve Berman