Subject: Re: [bug#33008] [WIP] openjdk 9 and 10

From: Björn Höfling <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2018 13:57:18 +0200

On Wed, 10 Oct 2018 23:40:59 +0200
Julien Lepiller <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Hi, here are two patches that add openjdk9 and openjdk10. The patches
> must be applied on top of core-updates (or master once core-updates is
> merged) because of an issue with gcc on master. I haven't tested them
> too much, and they were probably too easy to build, so I wouldn't be
> surprised if we found something bad in them.

Hi Julien,

thanks for caring about JDK! I'm positively surprised that it works
without any Icedtea-efford. The package definition doesn't look too
complicated and it doesn't take too much time to build. And, no, I
haven't found something awfully "bad" in there :-)

I could even play with the module system and build my own mini-JRE with
only the core modules. I wonder if this new feature of JDK9 would be
useful in Guix one day.

It builds reproducibly, besides from the docs. Maybe we can fix
that with the newest Icedtea patch from Gabor? I haven't yet looked
into that patch.

Version:
(version "9+181")

Where does that "+181" come from? When I look here:

https://jdk.java.net/archive/

I find 9.0.1 and 9.0.4. But maybe that's the versioning of the
precompiled releases?

Also, the "+" is not very user-friendly:

./pre-inst-env guix build openjdk@9
guix build: error: openjdk: package not found for version 9

Whereas for icedtea I'm used to say: guix build icedtea@1

When I temporarily change that to "9.181" it works. I think there was
some functionality within the "@"-logic that matches versions modulo
dots. You get what I mean?

Also, as I don't know where the version comes from, I couldn't check
weather this one is the latest or not.

[] Binaries included? If yes, created a snipped?
find . -name "*.rar" -or -name "*.pdf" -or -name "*.bin" -or -name "*.pdf" -or -name "*.dsy" -or -name "*.jar" -or -name "*.exe" 

There is one exe, many test jars. Two test bins, 
and two jars in the main:

find hotspot/src/ -name "*.jar"
hotspot/src/share/tools/IdealGraphVisualizer/branding/modules/org-netbeans-core-windows.jar
hotspot/src/share/tools/IdealGraphVisualizer/branding/core/core.jar

But that looks like being part of some tool anyway.

Can you strip some/all away? I haven't investigated further. As we are
currently not running any tests, stripping away the test jars should be
fine.

Is there a reason you removed this phase:
           (delete 'patch-source-shebangs)

Homepage: Use HTTPS
Donload-URL: Use HTTPS

License: I think you missed the classpath thing, cmp. IcedTea:

;; IcedTea is released under the GPL2 + Classpath exception, which is the 
;; same license as both GNU Classpath and OpenJDK.

When I check with licencechecker there are some files under BSD-3:

nashorn/samples/*
jdk/make/netbeans/*
jdk/src/demo/*
test/fmw/gest/include/gtest/internal/*

though I'm not sure if they are relevant, as they all are in "test" or
"make" or "demo".

Björn