Subject: bug#33007: 27.0.50; Proposal for function to edit and return string

From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2022 05:00:40 +0200

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> I've now added this to Emacs 29 (as well as a non-modal version with a
> callback instead of a recursive edit).

Cool - thank you very much.  I tried it shortly, and it works for me.

One thing I found: at the end of `string-edit', you have

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
(message "%S" (substitute-command-keys
                 "Type `C-c C-c' when you've finished editing"))
#+end_src

That should be "%s" - we don't want a quoted, `read'able string
messaged.

Second: I find the name of `read-string-from-buffer' a bit misleading -
what about `edit-string-in-buffer'?  The emphasis should be on "edit",
because a string is already present, the function doesn't just prompt
for a (new) string.

Thanks,

Michael.