Subject: Re: bug#33007: 27.0.50; Proposal for function to edit and return string

From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2018 17:39:02 +0200

Drew Adams <[email-masked]> writes:

> > The new arguments should be the same as currently for the function
> > display-buffer:
> > 
> >   BUFFER-OR-NAME - the name of the editing buffer;
> >   ACTION - display action like display-buffer-below-selected or
> >   display-buffer-at-bottom.
>
> I don't see it like that. I don't see it like
> `read-from-minibuffer'. I don't see
> it as modal, requiring you to edit and return without doing other things
> in between. To me, this is not about creating something similar to a
> minibuffer interaction.
>
> I instead see it like what `M-x report-emacs-bug' does, followed by
> `C-c C-c': [...]

I would want it to cover both requirements.  It would be nice if
there would also be a front-end like `read-from-minibuffer'.  Code can
be shared between the two.

What may also make sense: Emacs is prompting for user input using the
minibuffer.  User can hit a key if he wants to give large input or may
want to use elisp mode or whatever - and a buffer appears accepting
input, replacing the minibuffer.  User hits C-c C-c when done.

Michael.