Subject: bug#33005: 27.0.50; Data loss with Gnus registry

From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2019 10:21:32 +0200

Eric Abrahamsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> People are expected to use `gnus-mock-start' to start it, which does
> "emacs -Q" internally.

Ah, I remember.

> The only requirement is that the emacs be run
> from a build directory, and not an installation.

I tried it from my normal Emacs session and got this:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (buffer-read-only #<buffer .newsrc.eld>)
  replace-match("/tmp/emacs-gnus-mock-738lXO" t)
  gnus-mock-start()
  funcall-interactively(gnus-mock-start)
  call-interactively(gnus-mock-start record nil)
  command-execute(gnus-mock-start record)

Is that because it is an installed Emacs, or something else?  Should I
investigate?

Thanks,

Michael.