Subject: bug#32990: 26.1.50; isearch-forward + t-m-m/mark-active doc

From: [email-masked] (Charles A. Roelli)
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2018 21:22:23 +0100

> From: Juri Linkov <[email-masked]>
> Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2018 00:15:02 +0200
>
> Thanks, this was needed for a long time.  I tried it, and it looks great!

Thanks for testing it.

> > Clicking the menu items and icons should work okay with the mouse, but
> > I haven't yet found a way to show the menu with either "tmm-menubar"
> > or TTY menus, since activating these functions will normally
> > exit Isearch.
> 
> Eli is right.  (put 'tmm-menubar 'isearch-scroll t) did the trick.

To see the positive effect of that statement, is setting
`isearch-allow-scroll' to t required?

For me, the following recipe still has issues, even with that line
added to the patch:

emacs -Q
M-x set-variable isearch-allow-scroll t
C-r M-` i

The "Isearch" menu should now be shown in the *Completions* window,
but instead Isearch actually searches for the character "i" in the
minibuffer.  If we can inhibit that then we should be fine.  (It looks
like Isearch is not happy about commands switching the current buffer
behind its back.)

As for the TTY menus, adding "(put 'menu-bar-open 'isearch-scroll t)"
and enabling `isearch-allow-scroll' allows use of the new menu during
Isearch from a TTY.  Thanks Eli!