Subject: 26.1; Opening PDF attachments in Gnus with doc-view-mode causes error on Windows

From: Jordan Wilson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2018 15:44:55 +0100

Hi,

I'm running Emacs 26.1 on Windows 10. I've replicated this with "emacs -Q"

In a gnus article buffer, opening a PDF attachment in doc-view causes
doc-view to fail with the error:
  File error: "Opening output file", "Invalid argument", "c:/Users/Jordan/Emacs/.cache/docview-cache/ *mm*-012345" 

this leaves a buffer showing the file literally. If I rename that buffer
to something not containing an asterisk, it displays fine when running
"doc-view-mode". Windows apparently can't handle asterisks in
directory/file names.

Thanks

In GNU Emacs 26.1 (build 1, x86_64-w64-mingw32)
 of 2018-05-29 built on TPW550S
Windowing system distributor 'Microsoft Corp.', version 10.0.17134

Configured using:
 'configure --without-compress-install --without-dbus --with-modules
 'CFLAGS= -O2 -g3''

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND NOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2
ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS MODULES THREADS LCMS2

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: ENG
  locale-coding-system: cp1252

-- 
Jordan Wilson
    Sent from Gnus v5.13, GNU Emacs 26.1