Subject: bug#32950: 27.0.50; Strange display bug in *Help* buffer

From: Filipp Gunbin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2018 18:28:55 +0300

Thanks Eli,

On 05/10/2018 22:54 +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> Maybe it has to do with the fact that help buffer for `proced-sort'
>> contains link to the same function (or similarly name variable).
>
> Yes.  This is the intended behavior.  Go to that black line and type
> "M-x describe-text-properties RET": you will see what it tries to do.
> Also try the same on a GUI frame.

I see these text props there:

  face                 (:height 0.1 :inverse-video t)

Yes, it's inverse-video, but it does not provide an explanation.

Anyway, it looks somewhat scary for an unprepared user.  Why don't we
just show usual help for variable/function separately, and make this
"list"?

If this "list" was displayed right after help for either var/fun was
requested, then it's understandable.  But this scenario of "open help
for one of them, follow the link to another, and see it added" is
non-obvious and confusing.  To me, at least.  I doubt that even
experienced users know about this feature.

Filipp