Subject: Re: [bug#32947] Add java-xalan.

From: Frank Pursel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2022 09:38:47 -0700

Maxime,

Maxime Devos writes:
> Now at src/org/apache/xalan/xsltc/compiler/IdKeyPattern.java, line 36%.
> I noticed some Java code does some classpath and class loader things,
> so I'm not sure that the java-xalan package will actually work.

Yes, I think that is why apache continues to maintain the xslt base in
parallel with the xsltc base and why the java-xalan-interp avoids using
the xsltc branch of the source.

I've also read articles that questioned the notion that cup (used by the
xsltc base) offers any real value.  eg...
https://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.1.5402&rep=rep1&type=pdf

I've never seen any published performance comparisons between xslt and
xsltc and it makes me believe that if there are gains they are modest in
this application.

It is also why I chose to name this package
java-xalan-interp to make the distinction between the code bases clear.

Regards,
Frank Pursel