Subject: Re: bug#32932: [PATCH v2] Fix more drawing bugs in NS port (bug#32932)

From: Aaron Jensen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2018 18:30:05 -0800

On November 19, 2018 at 2:35:51 PM, Alan Third
([email-masked](mailto:[email-masked])) wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 15, 2018 at 05:20:09PM -0800, Aaron Jensen wrote:
> > On November 14, 2018 at 10:19:39 AM, Alan Third
> > ([email-masked](mailto:[email-masked])) wrote:
> >
> > > I suspect that's due to the whitespace checks that the Emacs tree
> > > builds into git. I know there's a way to disable them, but I don't
> > > know what.
> > >
> > > You could just try reverting the commits yourself and then
> > > extracting the 4th patch from the file and applying it.
> >
> > Okay, I was able to apply them. It renders a blank frame, however.
>
> Today I realised I’m able to install Mojave on an external HDD without
> affecting my High Sierra install, so I gave it a go and this patch
> works, so I guess it maybe didn’t apply correctly. Perhaps it doesn’t
> apply to master?

Oh, good I’m glad you're able to test it now. I was able to get the
patch to apply properly by deleting everything in .git/hooks and then
applying your patch to emacs-26. I was then able to merge that to
master and it worked.

It is, however, unusably slow. The performance degrades more the
bigger the frame is. I’ve gone back to what I was using before (master
+ the patch you reference below).

> Given that Emacs 26.2 is in pre‐release now I’m inclined to leave
> emacs-26 as‐is for now, unless we require the 8th of November patch
> (Further changes to NS drawing (bug#32932))? I don’t think we do as
> iirc it just solves a minor redrawing issue (i.e. Emacs is still
> usable without it). Is that right?

Yes, it is still usable, though if I remember correctly it lessens the
overall blank glitches (which still happen even w/ the patch). So yes,
it’s usable, but you do occasionally have to resize the window or do
something else to get it to repaint. You still have to w/ the patch,
just less often.

Thanks,

Aaron