Subject: Re: bug#32931: time-stamp-format: offer numeric time zones too

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2019 18:07:32 +0200

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> From reading the code, it looks like it's just using format-time-string,
> so all the specs available there are available here.
>
> I'll just remove all that stuff from the doc string and point users to
> that function.

That was wrong; I didn't see this bit:

;;; FIXME This comment was written in 1996!
;;; time-stamp is transitioning to using the new, expanded capabilities
;;; of format-time-string.  During the process, this function implements
;;; intermediate, compatible formats and complains about old, soon to
;;; be unsupported, formats.  This function will get a lot (a LOT) shorter
;;; when the transition is complete and we can just pass most things
;;; straight through to format-time-string.
;;;      At all times, all the formats recommended in the doc string
;;; of time-stamp-format will work not only in the current version of
;;; Emacs, but in all versions that have been released within the past
;;; two years.
;;;      The : modifier is a temporary conversion feature used to resolve
;;; ambiguous formats--formats that are changing (over time) incompatibly.
(defun time-stamp-string-preprocess (format &optional time)

Sure takes a long time to transition.

But that function hard-codes all the stuff it accepts, and then passes
them piece-meal to format-time-string, so it's not as straightforward to
fix as I assumed...

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no