Subject: bug#32921: emacsclient obeys Xresources even when launched with -nw

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2022 15:28:49 +0200

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> in term/x-win.el -- it sets reverse for all new frames, so when the -nw
> frame appears, it also gets reverted (which isn't what we want, I
> think).
>
> If I just remove this, then everything still works fine (and the -nw
> client problem disappears), because:

[...]

> So it's always handled anyway, and the default-frame-alist setting is
> just counter-productive, I think?
>
> Does anybody see any possible negative consequences of just removing
> that code from x-win.el?

Much discussion ensued after this, and there's good arguments on both
sides.  I.e., this is long standing (if odd behaviour), so it might
annoy people to change this.  However, it is a real bug -- i.e., we
handle the reverseVideo X resource in a really abnormal way, like we
handle no other X resources, so I think we should fix it anyway.

So I've now done that in Emacs 29, and added a NEWS entry saying that
this is backwards incompatible.  We'll see whether anybody complaints.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no