Subject: bug#32921: emacsclient obeys Xresources even when launched with -nw

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 May 2022 01:04:10 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> And if you are saying that the code in x-win.el should only affect the
> display on which Emacs was started, then that would be an even more
> seriously breaking change.  Why should we assume that the user
> intended his/her X resources to be only honored on the (random)
> display where Emacs shows its first frame?  The files ~/.Xresources
> and ~/.Xdefaults are not specific to any display, AFAIU, they are
> global for the user.  Right?

As Po says, X resources are a per-display thing -- the user may have
wildly differing X resources on different displays, and the intention of
X is that programs should query the X resource database whenever a new
window (i.e., frame) is opened.

Which removing that code from x-win.el would do.

I think Po is right here -- that code snippet in x-win.el just looks
like a misunderstanding.  (We handle all other X resources correctly, it
just this one that we handle in this wrong manner.)

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no