Subject: bug#32921: emacsclient obeys Xresources even when launched with -nw

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 May 2022 00:58:34 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> But are there many parameters like this?  Most of the frame parameters
>> are ignored on TTY...
>
> Many are ignored, but some are relevant:
>
>   . foreground and background colors
>   . cursor blinking
>   . menuBar
>   . tabBar

Yes, I can see people wanting to have different frame parameters for
those in TTY vs. GUI, so I think it sounds like it would be worth
creating something here.  But it does look like a largish job -- we'd
have to go through all the places where default-frame-alist is altered
and see whether it should be window-system dependent or not.

For accesses, I think that's probably simpler: We could just replace all
instances where something is doing an `assq ... default-frame-alist'
with a helper function that does the right thing.

...

Oh!  `window-system-default-frame-alist' already exists!  Never mind.
So we could just alter the term/x-win code snippet.

(But I haven't read the rest of the thread here yet.)

>> I see.  I wondered whether this was for using X servers under Windows,
>> somehow...  (I think that existed a long time ago, at least?)
>
> It did?  I only know about X servers used to run X programs from
> remote Unix hosts.

Right, that must be what I vaguely remember, then -- it's been decades
since I encountered this.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no