Subject: bug#32921: emacsclient obeys Xresources even when launched with -nw

From: Po Lu <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 May 2022 21:40:14 +0800

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> That's what we are trying to understand, among other things.  I posted
> one possible explanation.

I didn't really understand it, since there is no difference between
"startup time" and "frame creation time": the X resources as known to
Emacs do not change after the display connection is established.  They
might change on the MS Windows registry emulation, but not on X.

> I'm not sure this is 100% true.

Hmm, what other situations could there be?  Tooltip frames don't respect
`default-frame-alist' anyway, and I hope nobody out there is calling
`x-create-frame' directly.

> I don't know.  I guess for some kind of backward compatibility.  This
> is very old code.

My guess is that it was an oversight between 19.29 and 19.27.  But let's
see if anyone else knows what is going on.

> Then I don't understand your objection at all: when Emacs starts up,
> there's only one X server that can be relevant: the one where Emacs
> shows its first frame.

My objection was that it behaves differently from the other X resources,
in a way that is eventually overidden by `x-create-frame-with-faces'
anyway.

Thanks.